Alien Phoenix

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects Alien Phoenix

This topic contains 50 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Betson 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Richard Betson
    Participant

Hi,

I have setup a repository for the Alien Phoenix gaming framework on Github located here. I hope to have code posted in a week or so. More information soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rich

Hezkore
    Participant

Awesome stuff!

Richard Betson
    Participant

Attached is an image of mojox running with Alien Phoenix’s GUI. Pretty cool that both can exist within the same app instance. Alien Phoenix’s GUI is based on canvas as the anchor but perhaps I can somehow modify things to support a View. It might be possible through some kind of View z-order to then have mojox components like the tree view seen below work within an Alien Phoenix window.

Fun with Monkey 2! ๐Ÿ˜€

Richard Betson
    Participant

Attached is an image of Alien Phoenix running in the Chromium web browser at 60 FPS! With full support of Alien Phoenix’s windows based GUI. I’m sort of blown away that it is running so wellย  and it is pretty cool to have a window based GUI in a web browser.ย  I’m using the same test bed application with a lighted map as before. Amazing!

Is there anything Monkey 2 can’t do? ๐Ÿ˜€

Richard Betson
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been recovering from surgery but have managed to get a demo featuring Alien Phoenix nearly ready for release. It’s just a simple tech demo but should give users a good early glimpse of what the framework is capable of. I’ll be releasing it for Linux and HTML5 in a few weeks.

Check out the video.

Ethernaut
    Participant

Very cool!

CopperCircle
    Participant

Looks great ๐Ÿ™‚

Richard Betson
    Participant

^Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€

Checkout Phoenix USC/Alien Phoenix running (in 1080p) on the Chromium web browser! This video shows off most of the latest features, ships and lighting. It even fully supports the window based GUI. Even with video capture software overhead it all runs awesomely. Demo soon!

Playniax
    Participant

Nice!

regulark
    Participant

That looks pretty cool Richard. Did you face any problems optimizing it to run that well?

Richard Betson
    Participant

^Thanks.

Did you face any problems optimizing it to run that well?

The map (world) code was a tough one. Designing a map (world) framework that could uber efficiently and quickly manage potentially hundreds of thousands of objects. object collision, lighting and render it in layered 2D planes was a challenge. I found nothing that could do the job quickly and efficiently enough so I came up with my own design. But it’s important to note monkey is the enabler for sure.

The demo in the video is in a huge layered map with ten’s of thousands of objects. Running the demo (1080) native desktop my Phenom II X4 shows a 9-10% process usage. That is with the entire gaming framework in action including the GUI.ย  Efficiency has been my overarching goal in designing Alien Phoenix.

Richard Betson
    Participant

A few screen shots.

Abe _King_
    Participant

Wow, that’s looking so good :)! I’m happy to hear that monkey could handle such an intensive looking game!

Richard Betson
    Participant

Alien Phoenix now supports mojo3d. OMG! Shown here with one window in 3D and another window with 2D lighting effects and both running real-time.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Alien Phoenix will be available to all under the same license as Monkey. Coming Soon!

Try this demo! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Alien Phoenix 2D / 3D example (WASM).

Hi, I have posted a web assembly demo compiled with Emscipten. Featuring Mark’s simple light demo (with canvas scale, rotation) and a 3D demo all running real-time in my window based GUI. If you have ever wondered what Alien Phoenix can do this demo will give you a good look.

You may have to wait for all data to be downloaded before it will run. The download data counter will hit it’s max before everything is downloaded, especially on slower connections. If you have any issues try reloading. Left-click and hold in a window to move it. Windows resize.

I have posted the source code for this demo below (plus screen shot) for those curious.

Rock on.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.