Alien Phoenix

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects Alien Phoenix

This topic contains 67 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Betson 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Abe _King_
    Participant

@richard-betson There’s a good chance it could definitely be something with my particular computer, I am not too certain of what it could possibly be though. And of course! I forgot to mention that I was using chrome, but I’ll post a more detailed review of my experiences per browser below real quick. . . I’ll also ask a friend who has the same specs as me if they have any similar problems.

Chromeย ย 64.0.3282.119: I just updated this right now! It seems to be much less stuttery and far smoother. The problem still seems to be a noticeable latency in the jump of the virtual mouse. It also seems to be resources hungry.

Firefox 58: I also just updated this right now. It seems to be about on par with Chrome, I originally tested this first and was taken back at how much smoother it was than my original experience with chrome. Though, it also suffered some high latency, and also had hiccups with some inputs.

Microsoft Edge(old friend): I was surprised at what happened here. It first loaded, and it appeared to have the highest frame right out of the box compared to the other two, but only for about a second, until some weird errors started to occur which I think are due to some unforeseen WebASM errors.

Notes: There does seem to be an excessive toll on the system overall because when this game is running in the browser the actual entire PC starts to lag. Also, even though the frames seem to be smooth, they are lower than ideal. There are no numbers, but I can tell that when I shrink the Phoenix windows that the framerate goes up to almost 60 because the lighting demo becomes almost completely responsible.

Friends experience: Seems to match up with mine.

– Moved the discussion here to not take over the other thread. If you want to take this to the Monkey2 Discord server I’m there very frequently!

Richard Betson
    Participant

_Abe_King_,

I have uploaded a asmjs version (not web assembly) to my server. Can you give this a try?
    Alien Phoenix 2d / 3d demo – asmjs

Important – It will error on chrome the first time you run/download it, but, if you reload the page it should run. This is a bug and I’m not sure if it’s with Monkey or Emscripten, but I am looking into the issue.

Hopefully this will run better for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Abe _King_
    Participant

It does seem to get slightly better performance! Hard to tell without an FPS counter though . .ย .

Differences:

Chrome: About the same speed when everything is on the screen at their initial size. When making the lighting fullscreen it responds better than previously, but the frame cap is still not desirable. It seems the 3d portion is the hardest on the system

FireFox: Seems to be about on par with Chrome, maybe slightly higher frame rate but also in this version it seems to stutter more – indicating FireFox’s javascript engine is not on par with chrome, but theirย WASM seems to be on point.

MS Edge: Still errors. And forgot to mention that for some reason before erroring it asks for “input” via a pop-up input box.

Could you possibly provide a windows EXE? Surely the native version will show me exactly what the expected experience should be like

Richard Betson
    Participant

^I have only had two reports of the demo not working for the WASM versions which is not bad give the wide array of system setups out there. I think web assembly is the right direction but not without issues given it’s sorta cutting edge nature. It seems though the majority are able to run it as far as I can tell so far with the caveat being I am aiming at a gaming audience likely to have the hardware and software to support such a browser based demo.

At present I do not have a copy of Windows 10. A Linux shop here. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ย  But fear not. I will be uploading an alpha version of the GUI framework soon to GitHub. You can then compile the demo natively. It will be alpha, it will be largely undocumented and it will change over time. But experimentation and feedback will help to shape the outcome as the code and documentation resource holes are filled in.

Richard Betson
    Participant

IndieDB Tweeted about my game engine (framework – Alien Phoenix) demo. ๐Ÿ™‚ They even setup a nice billboard image on their front page driving page views and hopefully people running the demo. The video at least shows a powered by Monkey logo and I mention Monkey often so a ‘ding’ for Monkey as well.

My IndieDB page is here.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Phoenix USC demo close to ready. Checkout the glorious specular shine. ๐Ÿ˜€
    More images here on Twitter.

Attachments:

Abe _King_
    Participant

Looking nice!

Richard Betson
    Participant

@Abe_King_… Thanks!

@all -Split level map! Checkout the new lighted overhead level of play complete with ramps. ๐Ÿ˜€ Pre-Alpha Phoenix USC demo set for 3-22-18. Phoenix USC (my game project) uses Alien Phoenix to get it done. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Richard Betson
    Participant

A couple of images showing weapon to ship collision. This is a tough thing to implement as every bullet and every ship has to be polled for collision normally. Alien Phoenix’s map system uses a sort of tree-map which allows a much more efficient collision monitoring process. Still, aiming for 100 ships (players) and possibly a 1000 weapon entities (at once) is a tall order on a single CPU core. I think I can pull it off. ๐Ÿ™‚

Richard Betson
    Participant

These images show Alien Phoenix’s mapping system in action. The map system allows you to essentially fill a 2D plane space with part objects (walls, floors, etc). This allows multiple levels or layers of simultaneous game play on the same map.

Richard Betson
    Participant

I’ve posted a ‘wide’ screen shot of my desktop showing some of the error reporting work I have been doing with Alien Phoenix. You can just make out an error being reported in a console in an app (left side of screen) using Alien Phoenix and in the TED2GO IDE (center). Even though an error message indicates an image is missing the framework will in many cases report the error and continue to run. This aspect should be useful in game development both in error reporting and robust continued app operation despite common errors like a missing image.

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

Still hard at work. You can get current developments here as well. ๐Ÿ˜‰

https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixUniverseOfSpaceCombat/

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

I have a series of Phoenix USC base images here on indieDB . All posted in a series under the “Base in space” title. It shows how far along Alien Phoenix is in development. Rock on.

Phoenix USC on IndieDB

Richard Betson
    Participant

I’ve been changing my static mapping model to one that is dynamic. So for the results are great with an initial increase in collision performance of 6-7 times, although at the cost of a larger memory footprint (acceptable amounts). These changes allow for dynamic map part objects that can be positioned in real-time (including player ships or whatever), so real-time interactions between bullets and map objects is now possible, where a bullet moves a map object for example.

I will be implementing a slightly different strategy for bullet objects and am working on that currently.ย  All in all it’s coming along nicely.

Off to code.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Hi,
    Here is a look at the splash screens for Phoenix USC and Monkey2. I’ll have some game play video hopefully very soon.

Where have I been?
    Well, I had to take care of a medical issue. Basically I was having chest pain, fatigue and shortness of breath. I thought for sure I had a blocked artery in my heart. It turns out that my heart is in great shape, but is pumping or squeezing to vigorously (it’s to strong.. lol). The fix was simple medication and now I feel great.

Long live Monkey!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.