Alien Phoenix

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects Alien Phoenix

This topic contains 67 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Betson 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author

darky
    Participant

Looks very nice.
    How did you make the headlight/spot from the ship?

Richard Betson
    Participant

@darky

Thanks.

It’s all Monkey2 voodoo. 🙂 Checkout the ‘simple light’ demo in the bananas folder. I essentially use the same approach as in Marks demo.

Btw: This is all 2D. Just FYI.

Richard Betson
    Participant

I’ve posted 9 images of the final look and base design here on Phoenix USC’s Twitter page.

Sample:

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

Oh man.. the fun begins! 😀 Massive bot weapons fire. Video of Phoenix USC using Alien Phoenix up soon.

Richard Betson
    Participant

More wild bot weapons fire. Over a dozen bots unloading hundreds of weapon objects. Looks awesome in real-time with all the lighting effects.

The Alien Phoenix framework can really handle much more in terms of performance. 🙂

Richard Betson
    Participant

Example images of a captured and uncaptured flag in Phoenix USC. Control of the flag means ultimate victory.

I am designing the Alien Phoenix framework to use switches, which when crossed can be used activate map objects. In addition to the flag all ramps leading to the upper level of game play use entry and exit switches. It works very well and opens up lots of map design options.

Edit: That caption (red flag) should read “uncaptured”… Oops.

Richard Betson
    Participant

A view from above. Game play on two separate levels at the same time. I have also cleaned up weapons impacts so that things look clean and ships are still visible. So sweet in real-time.

The mapping system in Alien Phoenix works using layered 2D plane spaces. It makes it easy to layer game play. 🙂

I will probably start a new thread for Phoenix USC as it’s getting close to a way early pre-alpha demo.

I should have a video of early game play late Friday

Richard Betson
    Participant

Hi,

I have been working on the early pre-alpha demo for Phoenix USC of late, which means a lot is going on with Alien Phoenix. I’m going to start a series of posts explaining what the framework does and an overview of how to use it by supplying examples and tutorials. This will be over the next few months as I start to document and finalize the architecture. For now I would like to explain a little bit about Alien Phoenix’s GUI.

I designed the GUI architecture to be flexible and efficient. This makes it easy to use and flexible enough to be customized or modified. The GUI is window based which means most everything you do with Alien Phoenix is going to use a window. You might think oh man that will be slow but you would be wrong. I have lots of videos and a Emscripten example that show off the efficiency of the window based GUI. This is made possible by designing the GUI first and letting it be the anchor for all other code. Without going into to much architectural detail, the GUI in addition to managing buttons, list boxes, sliders, windows and alike also handles the rendering for 2D and 3D. This makes good sense as the framework is working alongside the Monkey2 API. The real efficiency comes from the way the Alien Phoenix GUI renders mojo constructs. It uses a simple stack as a draw list which holds all of the data to be rendered whether it is text, 2D images, 2D lights, 2D shadows or 3D components. This kind of architecture makes it easy to add in future mojo goodies as well.

The GUI is designed to be omnipresent working with almost any OS, web browser or device. You can customize it to fit a particular look through a skin file and load a new one based on which device or OS you are using. Typically you will probably stick with one basic skin as the mechanics of the window and GUI components are designed to be friendly to most situations. For example to move a window you only need to left click and hold on an area of a window not used by a GUI component. That in itself makes it friendly to touch screens. The GUI also uses some unique features like casting a window as the background essentially making it a bottom most window.  I have included two images that illustrate this behavior in wide-screen (5760×1080). In the first image you can see several windows running Phoenix USC. If you look closely you can see the cursor over a button in the game window. That little button is a screen cast button that will cast the game window as the background. This allows super easy management of windows allowing quick access to the game window (full screen – or mojo window) as well as all other active windows as seen in the second image. To get a good idea of how this works I would encourage you to tryout my Emscripten demo for Alien Phoenix (see this post for more detail and the code).

I will be hard at work trying to get this framework ready for early experimentation. As soon as I have something I consider usable and minimally documented I’ll post it for use. Till then stay tuned for more about Alien Phoenix.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.