Alien Phoenix

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects Alien Phoenix

This topic contains 92 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Betson 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Richard Betson
    Participant

@Michael Flad – Thanks. Thanks for the system specs! 😀

More ISO fun (Images Below) with Alien Phoenix’s mapping system. Imagine this more complex and lighted lighted. 🙂

The tileset used is available here and free to use.
    https://opengameart.org/content/isometric-city

Rock on,
    – Rich –

Richard Betson
    Participant

The pay off! I can see a lot of potential here, real-time 60fps lighted 2D isometric map with shadows. Huge million object worlds possible. 😀

Attachments:

papgar
    Participant

Must be very satisfying seeing how quickly your engine can handle new features.

When is the space game coming out and is it going to be multiplayer?

Richard Betson
    Participant

New ISO image below made using in game editor which is sort of working for the first time. Now with skyscrapers.  🙂

Must be very satisfying seeing how quickly your engine can handle new features.

It’s pretty flexible and I think going from straight top-down to isometric kind of proves it. Alien Phoenix is head to open source so all can do the same. 😉

When is the space game coming out and is it going to be multiplayer?

I’ll have a pre-alpha demo out the first part of December. The game will be multiplayer for sure, but the demo wont be..

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

The GUI portion of Alien Phoenix is available on github. No need to compile a module just run the examples. Still early.
    https://github.com/RichardBetson/Alien-Phoenix/tree/Dev

Currently working on ISO and top-down editor support. Checkout the sandbox goodness as I illustrate by building some skyscrapers.

The Alien Phoenix engine in action on a triple monitor setup, widescreen at 5760×1080 on Chromium (Emscripten)

More info soon. 🙂
    Hangout in the Monkey2 Discord for very latest.
    https://discord.gg/b38Dhy

Richard Betson
    Participant

I have two editor modes. For now you can toggle between an ISO mode and a platform or top-down mode. You can mix the modes so a map can have both ISO and strait 2d top-down elements.The development path is definitely going sandbox. I’ll have more on this later but the map system is robust enough to include 3D elements as well. 🙂

Images show the two edit modes, both modes can be available in a map.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Liking the early results of an ISO base for Phoenix USC. My hunch is that Alien Phoenix is going to deliver some amazing lighted ISO combat action. 🙂

Richard Betson
    Participant

This is where it gets a little complicated, when having over head components in the map. ISO is 2D so the trick is layers. All the overhead objects are on a separate layer. It make s this kind of thing possible. 🙂 Alien Phoenix supports layering out-of-the-box. See image. 🙂

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

Here I have the editor running on the Chromium web browser, 1080p at 60FPS. The game engine and editor run great in isometric mode.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Using a pre-rendered 2D animation for ship Using a light. Shadows next. Mojo 2D lighting looks pretty sweet. 🙂 All part of the isometric features I am adding.

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

Images of a base constructed from only isometric blocks. Neat! This kind of block based map is part of volumetric technique I am working on for Alien Phoenix. Think 2d isometric minecraft sort of thing. 🙂

Abe _King_
    Participant

The isometric lighting you have going on here is looking beautiful! I would love to see how it performs on my laptop 🙂

Richard Betson
    Participant

^Lets hope it does well. 😀 Thanks.

Fine tuning lighting. Amazing for 2D . 😀

Attachments:

Richard Betson
    Participant

My first ever let’s build video. Checkout the in game editor and how easy it easy to build a project.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Current lighting dev. Here using layering of lighting and shadow to render this ‘2D’ scene. All realtime.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.