Any multiplayer networking module available?

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help Any multiplayer networking module available?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AaronK 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AaronK
    Participant

Hi all. Been out of the loop for a while but had a prototype I wanted to whip up and thought maybe Monkey could do it. However I need some simple multiplayer networking, local only. Doesn’t need discovery, lobbies or any of that stuff. Just peer to peer LAN.

Is there anything available? Doesn’t look like Pyro does it from what I could see.

Cheers
    Aaron

Abe _King_
    Participant

Doesn’t look like there’s any modules built from scratch for it! But you could certainly do it in Monkey2 without too much hassle!

All you got to do is do a combination of UDP to start and then TCP, or just UDP.

1. Create a UDP broadcast from the host that will tell everyone they’re a host over LAN.
    2. Clients will listen for the broadcast.
    3. Once you catch the hosts address you can connect to that address now over TCP.
    4. Once room conditions are met just follow typical game protocols over TCP on LAN.

You could get a decent feel for making multiplayer in Monkey2 through one of the Bananas! I’m currently in the process of making a multiplayer game that’s a Server-Client architecture using Go+Monkey2 and that’s been mostly painless!

AaronK
    Participant

Thanks. Unfortnately I don’t have to time to make up a network stack for it. I might have to look at Unity again.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.