Asteroids remake

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects Asteroids remake

Tagged: 

This topic contains 41 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  AdamStrange 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Matthew Smith
    Participant

Here is my attempt at an Asteroids remake (Windows only) using Wiebo’s Game2d framework – both a great help and I also used the example asteroids game to start from ):

[Updated] v0.6 – 19-08-16 https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgngrULjSty9kJscgMVwpojeo2pn3w

Changes

• Added UFO
    • Extra player every 10,000pts
    • Ability to enter high scores

Settings

Change the settings.json file to adjust the resolution (and other things such as vsync, flicker and lives) :

640 – 640×480
    800 – 800×600
    1024 – 1024×768 (default if nothing else matches)
    1366 – 1366×768
    1920 – 1920×1080

I have tried to follow the arcade version fairly closely from a play view point – still got a few things to do such as the high score table and a bit more work on the tempo (very hard to get past Level 3-4) but a good start.  I’ve already added some extra stuff such as level counter and remaining asteroids (ahla Wizball) and I also want to add collectable power-ups such as speed-ups, multi-bullets, bombs etc to give it a bit a of more modern flavour. As with vector games, the screenshots don’t do the visuals much justice but it looks pretty good on-screen – moving starfields and glowing explosions etc.

One of my favorite games which I’ve re-built many a time over the years since I played it on the Atari 2600.  Certainly my best effort!

Any feedback would be great!

CopperCircle
    Participant

It good, nice particle effects and I like the screen shake 🙂

AdamStrange
    Participant

All works great on windows 10

One thing. it’s very ‘dark” for my tastes. The original vector scanning was very crisp and bright in comparison.

Matthew Smith
    Participant

Thanks guys. Yeah need to keep working on the colors. I removed a background image just last night so the colors need a bit work. Also I might bump up the resolution (from 640×480) which should crisp up the lines as they are a bit chunky ATM.

Like the shaking also – pretty much built-in to Wiebo’s Game2d framework so all credit to him!

wiebow
    Participant

Played it! Really nice. I like the starfield and the stressfull background bump sound. 🙂 It gives it a nice atmosphere!

Matthew Smith
    Participant

Updated version (v0.3)

You can now adjust the screen size (auto scales everything up) which makes the whole thing look much crisper! If you look in the settings file you can set the screen width which will configure the final screen size:

640 – 640×480
    800 – 800×600
    1024 – 1024×768 (default if nothing else matches)
    1366 – 1366×768
    1920 – 1920×1080

Everything is scaled (vectors, font, particles, speed) so it should essentially play the same regardless of resolution (not sure if I’ve got everything as yet though as it seems slightly easier the bigger you go).

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Great stuff!

Had to turn flicker off pretty quickly though…

Matthew Smith
    Participant

Yeah – might be acquired taste that one!  Turned it off myself earlier.

wiebow
    Participant

Softies 🙂  You should see the screen of my Vectrex 🙂

Matthew Smith
    Participant

🙂

Matthew Smith
    Participant

Updated version (v0.5)

Make some (more!) big internal changes the past couple of days. I wasn’t happy with my first attempt at scaling so thought more about it and started again.  Previously just about everything was scaled pre-render (this included speed, distance and size calcs) but I’ve changed that so it just when rendering now. The game now will run, process and validate at a set screen size (in this case 640×480) but it now renders everything automatically to the actual screen size.

Overall it now looks and runs the same regardless of resolution and I don’t have to change a thing!  The net effect is that the graphics become much cleaner and defined as you increase the resolution.

I also re-org’d a whole lot of other stuff to make it cleaner and easier to access (the eternal on-going tidy-up!). Now time to push on and look at the UFO, power-ups and final review of the colors.

AdamStrange
    Participant

how are you storing the graphics/vector data. For example the ship (which is made from 4 lines)

Is it some form of vector class where you just give it a vertex list and it draws it at a location with rotation?

Matthew Smith
    Participant

Adam,

This is my VectorEntity (whilst using Wiebo’s Game2d entity classes)

Pretty much my objects such as the player, bullets and asteroids are created from this base vector class.  Here is my base ship:

So what is doing is storing the points as a base [basePoints] and it then re-plots [PlotPoints] that based on scale and rotation [renderPoints] as necessary during an update.  From there it renders (overall scale adjusted by the VirtualResolution object as required as discussed above).

I’ve had this vector code sitting around for donkeys in my folder collection – unfortunately not sure who created originally!

gcmartijn
    Participant

I use this vector script in monkey1, need/going to translate it to mx2.

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=568

But i will try to use the vec2f class and extend it with thing (i guess)

Matthew Smith
    Participant

@gcmartin – quite a comprehensive module! I’ve just done the basic requirements myself to do the job.  Shouldn’t be too hard to convert over.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.