Can't debug

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Arjailer 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Arjailer
    Participant

Using the pre-built Monkey 2 Binaries for Windows on Windows 7  and I’m finding that I can’t really debug anything.

I can’t find anything about debugging in the language guide, but it appears that DebugStop() causes the debugger to stop just like it did in Monkey X. I can then examine the call stack, variables etc.

However, clicking on any of the buttons in the debugger pane causes “ted2.exe has stopped working” and all I can do is close it down and start Ted up again.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Arjailer
    Participant

Bumping as this still happens to me with the latest code from GitHub.

Any ideas?

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Nope sorry.

I no longer even have a CD of Windows 7, although I guess I’m gonna need one sooner or later if there are problems with mx2 apps not running on it.

And to be honest, I am not really keen on supporting Windows 7 as a dev platform. It’s officially reached ‘end of mainstream support’ and more and more stuff is just gonna break on it over time.

There’s also the time factor for me – I’m already supporting 3 (soon to be 5) dev platforms and I just don’t like the idea of having to support another.

Yeah, it sucks if you don’t like Windows 10, but that’s just the way it is if you’re a developer. I’m kind of lucky – I hate all versions of Windows equally so changing up has never been a big deal.

Of course, if anyone can come up with fixes for Windows 7 that don’t break Windows 8/10  I’m happy to implement them – I could sure do with the help!

Arjailer
    Participant

I’d love to be on Windows 10, but this is my work laptop and they’re keeping us on 7 for now  🙁

I have Windows 10 on my PC at home – between the two machines I’ll try to figure out what’s going on.

Arjailer
    Participant

Looks like the problem is the call to _process.WriteStdin() in Console.WriteStdin():

Unhandled exception at 0x771161BC (ntdll.dll) in ted2.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x77D2E2B1.

Unfortunately the Process class is C++ so not sure how to debug any further and I can’t read assembler to save myself  🙂

I’ve been trying to write a simple test using the Process class, but I can’t get past “type Process not found”.

I’ll keep trying.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.