Compiling on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (fresh install)

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Development Compiling on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (fresh install)

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  AdamStrange 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

EdzUp
    Participant

When compiling on a fresh install on Ubuntu (might be the same with other Linux versions) I got a g++ error as it wasnt installed. Might be a good idea to add it to the Linux section of the github and downloadables readme file.

Now its installed its compiling fine so far 😀

cocon
    Participant

You did something like, sudo apt-get g++?

EdzUp
    Participant

I used:

sudo apt-get install g++ xorg-dev qtcreator libopenal-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsdl2-dev

It compiled and works perfectly now 🙂

Credit for this goes to Richard Betson as it was his monkey-x.com post that helped immensely.

EdzUp
    Participant

original Monkey topic can be found over at:

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=10088

Richard Betson
    Participant

Yo EdzUp! Do you have a local copy of that little guide I did. 🙂 Can’t seem to find it here. I’d like to redo it as I’m about to do a fresh install of Linux Mint 18.3 as a daily driver.

DruggedBunny
    Participant

Richard Betson
    Participant

@DruggedBunny
    Thanks! 😀

AdamStrange
    Participant

I’ve got ubuntu and the git source, but where the hell do I install them?

Richard Betson
    Participant

On Ubuntu? I store mine in the ‘ home ‘ directory. In that directory I made a folder (directory) called programming/monkey2/ . Anywhere in the home directory is fine.

AdamStrange
    Participant

brilliant. I’ll give it a go ….

AdamStrange
    Participant

ok, got it all in the home folder. But what do I do next?

I tried running rebuildall, but get errors about the missing linux mx2cc. when I try and download it from git I get some sort of compressed _dms file?

any suggestions?

abakobo
    Participant

let’s say you’ve unzipped your monkey-develop from github to the Desktop (which is in the home folder).

on freshly installed Mint, I got build working typing the following, there may be some new libs to install now but it worked at the time :

Richard Betson
    Participant

^I’m about to get Mint 18.3 going and run through all of this including Emscipten and Android. I’ll look over what you have done vs. what I end up doing. I’ll post a new install guide and we all can work to improve it. 😉 Sound good?

AdamStrange
    Participant

yep. Sounds good.
    @abakobo thanks for the listing. the sudo part was excellent

nothing about linux is a simple thing -hmm

AdamStrange
    Participant

ok. I think it compiled – everything looked like it was compiling anyway.

next problem – I’m HATING linux

go into the monkey folder
    Monkey2(Linux) is listed (although icon looks like text)
    click Monkey2(Linux)
    it pops up a dialog ‘could not display “Monkey2(Linux)”‘. There is no application installed for shard files.

Anyone have a scoobie what is going wrong now?

I know it’s now me but surely there must be a simple way to do this. Even DOS was a walk in the park compared to this…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.