Experimental module manager now online!

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Development Experimental module manager now online!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  wiebow 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

You should be activated too wiebow.

wiebow
    Participant

Thanks! Once my first module is kinda ‘done’ I will add it. 🙂

wiebow
    Participant

I have uploaded my game2d module. It’s starting to come together now, so I thought, why not?

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

I think the name ‘game2d’ is a bit generic for a module.

Modules names should have some kind of ‘proper noun’ identifier in them, like ‘mojo’ or ‘diddy’ or ‘lua’ etc – perhaps’ weibow2d’? The namespace can stay the same, although keep in mind that the top level namespace introduces a global-ish symbol, so you don’t want it too ‘generic’, like ‘x’ or something! But for name, it’s the module name I’m mostly worried about.

Does that make sense or am I being too paranoid here? It’s just that the goal is to have LOTS of modules so we want to avoid name clashes as much as possible.

Or should it all be strictly first come first served?

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

…published for now anyway!

wiebow
    Participant

I have no responsibility for module names from other authors of course. 🙂

I had the same module name for the blitzmax version since 2006 and never heard of anything named the same, although it was wdw.game2d then. Putting all my names under one top level name turned out to be a chore though, so I didn’t want to do it again.

jihem
    Participant

I don’t like “first come first served”… This is a good idea to use the login name as prefix (or a domain name owned by the user, ie com.domain.module_name).

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

although it was wdw.game2d then

I prefer that.

I’d call it ‘wdw-game2d’ and put everything in it in a wdw.game2d namespace – ie: just put ‘Namespace wdw.game2d’ at the top of each module file.

If you add more modules in future, you can call them wdw-core, wdw-this, wdw-that etc.

Users only have #import the wdw-blah’s they need, and can use everything in wdw with a single ‘Using wdw..’

They goal here is to have a TON of modules available in one place – not just a bunch of modules distributed randomly around the ‘net ala bmx, mx1 – so I’d like them to be reasonably distinctive namewise to avoid potential collisions.

> Putting all my names under one top level name turned out to be a chore though

In what way?

wiebow
    Participant

Changed the namespace, will upload a new version soon!

Samah
    Participant

Lua module v0.1.0 uploaded. Still major WIP, but it’s usable.
    I’d love to see what people can do with the current build so that I know the best direction to take the project.
    Reeaalllyyy hoping for reflection soon so I can make the field and method bindings automatic and transparent to the developer.

wiebow
    Participant

I uploaded a new version of my module. The folder name now is wdw-game2d, and the namespace is wdw.game2d

Have fun! 🙂

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Published – love the little asteroids game too!

Thanks for renaming it too, although I’m probably just be overly paranoid…

ImmutableOctet
    Participant

Just a heads up, I tried to install Wiebow’s module, and it seems to have crashed.

On a second attempt it appears to be making a file called “wdw-game2d” rather than a folder, then it obviously says “modules/wdw-game2d/wdw-game2d.monkey” doesn’t exist.

EDIT: ‘portmidi’ does the same thing from the look of it.

Matthew Smith
    Participant

I’m getting a similar crashing thing compiling (on Windows) but on different modules. Sometimes works some times doesn’t – trying to think of how to replicate before I log it.

Note: both ‘external’ modules downloaded ok.

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Not having any such problems here.

Does a plain ‘update modules’ crash? ‘Rebuild documentation’?

If you can get other of these to crash outside of module manager (or not) it should be a clue!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.