Frustum Culling – Is this ok?

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help Frustum Culling – Is this ok?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cocon 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Pakz
    Participant

I was not really able to understand how frustum culling works with the way I keep finding it described or coded online. They use a AABB system and I really do not understand this yet.

My own take on it right now is to use a point in triangle approach and find visible meshes using that way. I coded this test to see if it would work and it seems to do.

Am I right that this is usable also?

cocon
    Participant

Frustum culling is based on simple collision detection. The math in it are only the means to calculate the shape’s volume and then perform collision detection tests and figure if a point is inside this volume.

Your implementation in terms of frustum culling is right, also you take it to the next level which is about hierarchical organization of the scene. Here you use spaces of fixed size which looks like a grid.

One idea for using space partitioning:

This way of splitting up the scene would work fine in simple terms, I would not see something wrong about it. Most of the gaming industry has settled to nested space partions like binary/quadtree/octree. It means basically that a space contains many other spaces (in terms of hierarchical organization) – resulting to an actual tree structure. Each one is supposed to be an alternative way of managing the data structures. For example imagine that you would travel in a desert (which the environment is in the majority much empty) and then suddenly you would enter a small cave where it has lots of stuff in it. This would be a good case of using nested space partition.

Here is an example of space partitioning:

You can look at the OGRE source to see the Octree implementation. In Doom/Quake you can see the BSP implementation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.