Getting started on Linux

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help Getting started on Linux

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dawlane 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

wiebow
    Participant

Hi there people. I would like to get started with Monkey 2 on Linux. Is there a “get started” guide? What are the dependencies, do I still need Monkey X to get the full functionality?

What is the deal?

wiebow
    Participant

OK, I have been playing today with the latest github pull (009) and it works out of the box and without any Monkey 1 on my system. The readme still says it is needed, but apparently you can use Monkey2 without it. All examples work, so I am not sure why Monkey 1 is required.  Can anyone explain?

I am using Sublime Text 3 with my own language file, and Gradle for project builds. It’s a great combo, and all bananas seem to work just ok.

papgar
    Participant

I think it is still using Monkey1 IDE.  There was a TED2 in a Christmas distro but I think Mark is updating that later to work with debugger…

Richard Betson
    Participant

You can use my simple guide for dependencies. There also dawlane’s guide.

Edit – Oh, it looks like your up and running already. 🙂

wiebow
    Participant

Hi Richard,

I see your guide also tells me to install Monkey 1… But things work without it as well. Am I missing something?

Also, enscriptmen. I want to compile to desktop, so I assume I will not need this.

Android: also not needed, so no ANT etc for me then I guess.

To get M2 going on Linux I only needed to install libsdl2-dev and things worked from there on. I think that’s because I already have Blitzmax installed and therefore have most of the other dependencies installed already.

Richard Betson
    Participant

“Am I missing something?”

Nope. That was all written supposing you wanted both installed and for MX2 installing MX1 gave you TED, which for a person lacking any other IDE would get you going. I will at some point here do a fresh install of Linux Mint and see what exactly is needed dependencies wise for Monkey 2. If you just want to compile for the Linux desktop the dependencies are likely to be few depending on the distribution you use.

What distribution do you use? Just curious. 😉

wiebow
    Participant

I’m using Linux Mint 17.3 at the moment, and Sublime Text/Gradle for editing and building. Works like a charm, and I am knocking my language file for M2 in shape while playing with code.

dawlane
    Participant

Well my very first post on these here forums.

wiebow: You shouldn’t need to install any SDL2 libraries as the source files are include with the SDL2 modules.

wiebow
    Participant

Hi Dawlane,

Well, it was some time ago when I installed it for the first time, so I assumed it was still needed! But that is good to hear, Dawlane.

Good to see you here!!

dawlane
    Participant

Just to let you know that the guide has been updated to include monkey2 and setting up emscripten.

You can get it from the usual place over at the MonkeyX tutorials.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.