Linux release end of life and development.

About Monkey 2 Forums General Programming Discussion Linux release end of life and development.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dawlane 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Richard Betson
    Participant

Hi,

I was looking over this Ubuntu wiki page and it looks like 14.04 LTS reaches it’s end of life this next month. Version 15.10 reaches it’s end of life in this month. So I was wondering if I should keep a version of 14.04 around for development and compatibility? Should I move on to 16.04 LTS?

I’m interested in maintaining kernel compatibility on Monkey 2 applications I build so I’m thinking that I should stick with 14.04 LTS in that regard for a while longer. I’m fairly new to Linux so I could use some advice.

Thanks.

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

I thought LTS releases had 5 years of upgrades.

cocon
    Participant

This is mostly a case on computing infrastructure, where when something works there is no need to change it. https://thetimedok.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/wrong4.jpg. This is mostly because, changes into the infrastructure would introduce risks that no one would like to deal with (cost, time, quality of service) and everything remains the same for safety.

The most logical approach, is <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>to use what suits the needs better. </span>However when time comes to release an application, you will need to test it to as much systems as possible, and preferably more targeted to latest versions in order to guarantee stability.

dawlane
    Participant

I take it Richard that you didn’t click on the HWE August 2016 link? It relates to the support for a particular kernel with a particular DVD ISO release (aka point of release). They are basically saying, “If you have one of these point of releases installed; then you should consider upgrading the kernel or download a new point of release DVD ISO”. Linux Mints updater allows you to switch between kernels much easier than Ubuntu, but any kernel module drivers have to be rebuilt.

As you can see from the graph charts in the link. The next point of release DVD ISO for 14.04 will be 14.04.5 supported until April 2019. If you have the original release with the 3.13 kernel (14.04/14.04.1). Then you do not have to worry about it. All LTS versions are supported for five years. So any software you download from the repository tailored for that LTS version will get updates.

Here’s another web page for you to have a look at.

I’m interested in maintaining kernel compatibility on Monkey 2 applications I build so I’m thinking that I should stick with 14.04 LTS in that regard for a while longer. I’m fairly new to Linux so I could use some advice.

If that was the case; then you should be using a distribution that’s running the 3.13 kernel. What matters most for distribution, is which version of glibc/libstdc++ was used to build applications.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.