Mojo3D: Built-in VR support

Home Forums Monkey 2 Development Mojo3D: Built-in VR support

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  scurty 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

therevills
    Participant

Any news for the built-in VR support for Mojo3D?

I’ve had my Oculus Rift for a couple of weeks now and would love to do some dev in MX2 for it 🙂

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

I would love to but don’t currently posses a usable VR unit.

I could get a stero display going I guess, but the units do all sort of other fancy crap these days too like time/space warp and the barrel distortion.

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Note: I do have a DK2 and tried to get it working recently with ‘open vr’ (the vive/valve API) but with no joy – apparently a known issue. Next step is to try the oculus api I guess, but I am less excited about that due oculus’ ‘walled garden’ approach, although I’m not not really sure what the ramifications are for publishers actually, maybe nothing?

therevills
    Participant

Most of the exclusives for Oculus are only time limited exclusives, although I doubt that you will see Oculus Studio games coming out directly on Steam 😉

I wasnt going to get the Rift, but the recent Summer sale was too good to past up and with my new PC its fantastic!

There are a few games on Steam VR which has direct support for Vive and Rift built in (eg Dirt Rally, Elite Dangerous) but no idea how they do it of course.

DruggedBunny
    Participant

Really want this! Is the OpenVR problem related to the DK2 specifically, or Oculus in general? I couldn’t find any quick info on it…

I believe you get tied into either Steam or the Oculus Home thing either way (OpenVR is apparently only downloadable via Steam, and the Oculus SDK forces running Oculus Home on game launch), but I don’t believe you’re forced to sell through either store.

There’s a year-old discussion on the pluses and minuses of each SDK here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/496qsm/oculus_sdk_vs_openvr_sdk/

The current Oculus SDK now takes care of the image warping/distortion/timewarping stuff as I understand it:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-render/#dg_render_distortion

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

The issue is apparently that DK2 (oculus dev kit V2) doesn’t work with the ‘open vr’ API (from valve).

It should work with oculus APIs though so I’ll give that a crack at some point!

Rumphiz
    Participant

Oculus were giving out the full retail version to people who supported them via kickstarter if that’s how you got yours, might be worth giving them a poke.

HeadClot
    Participant

Hey Mark,

If you cannot get the DK2 to work with SteamVR APIs you can do a hardware request through Oculus. Not sure if you were aware. 🙂

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Oculus were giving out the full retail version to people who supported them via kickstarter

Alas I missed the kickstarter so had to buy a dev version outright, so no freebie for me!

scurty
    Participant

There’s a technique for Mobile using the Accelerometer and Gyroscope with a Split Camera View.
    I got a cheap $10 VR thingy for my Phone. That should be possible when Mojo3D matures more.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.