Mojo3D(assimp) Importing Collada files.

Home Forums Monkey 2 Development Mojo3D(assimp) Importing Collada files.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TurkeyLurker 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TurkeyLurker
    Participant

I am trying to use a Collada file that I exported from Poser into Monkey2-1.1.06.  I can use the turtle.b3d from the test folder with no problems, but when I try to use a Collada file, the model appears ok, except for strange polygons that stem from the foot of the model.  What you can’t see from the picture, is that the eyes of the eagle are missing.

As a check, I installed open3dmod which (I think) uses the assimp code, and the model appears correctly, with no lines and eyes intact.  The model also appears correctly in the latest version of Blender; so I think the issue may be with Monkey2.

The model is a big one, as they tend to be in poser models.  I’ve tried reducing the polygon count, but the results are the same.

Has anyone else had this experience with Collada models in Monkey2?

Attachments:

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Any chance you can post or send me the model (I promise to be discrete)?

TurkeyLurker
    Participant

I can’t send the original model, but I can send a free one that exhibits the same behavior.  🙂

When you run the code, you’ll notice the black streaks that distort as you browse the bird flying with the arrow keys.  When I originally exported the model, I included the rigging and animation, and excluded the lights and camera.  The export options were:

Multi-frame export (30 frames)

Included normals

Baked all morphs onto the model.

I hope this helps, and thanks for your time!

Attachments:
    1. BirdieFly.zip

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Well, I’ve reproduced *something*! See attachment below….is this what you’re getting?

Note that loading with Model.Load instead of Model.LoadBoned fixes it, but of course it can’t be animated.

There are several issues with the model too – some vertices have >4 weights which is kind of a stock limit for GPU boning. I can fix this by normalizing bones weights which I will do, but animation will look a bit ‘stiffer’. Also, that particular model has what looks like some ‘errors’ in the weights in that a few of the weights are very, very small (eg: 1e-8) and will have little effect on boning.

Anyway, still on the laptop which is driving me nuts. Will fix it when I get my real computer back (soon) but I’m sure it is fixable.

Nice model too. Is it ‘free’ as in libpng/zlib license free? Can I add it to the monkey2 distro?

Attachments:

TurkeyLurker
    Participant

The model was originally created by Kim, who has it marked for personal use only license (https://free3d.com/3d-model/2-birds-96007.html)

PapaSmrfe rigged the model for Poser (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=155416) and he says you can distribute it for non-commercial purposes.  He says in the readme that “Verbage at the bottom of the download page states that the files are, ” … licensed under the Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. In short: you are free to distribute and modify the file as long as you attribute it’s author(s).” ”

Not sure if you could use it in Monkey2 without permission from Kim, as I could not find such “verbage” on Kim’s download page.  I used it for troubleshooting purposes since I figured that was personal.

As far as your reproduction of the problem goes, yes, you are getting the same black polygons that I get.  I must say that I am VERY impressed that I could export a model rigged and animated in poser directly into Monkey2!  Nice!

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Ha, Ok, found it.

The problem is the model has quite a few bones, 67 in all, and the shader only handles 64. I upped the shader array to 96 and it worked fine, will push this change soon. I need to do more research on what a ‘reasonable’ max number of bones is here.

Shame about the license. I am working on the assumption that ‘free for personal use’ models are a no-go, which is a bummer because there are a lot of good ones around!

TurkeyLurker
    Participant

Thank ya sir.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.