Monkey 2/Alien Phoenix does triple monitor setup.

Home Forums General Discussion Monkey 2/Alien Phoenix does triple monitor setup.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  medi 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Richard Betson
    Participant

I have posted an image here showing Monkey 2 and Alien Phoenix spanning three monitors with a total resolution of 5910×1080 (windowed) on Linux Mint 17.2. Anyone else have a triple monitor setup?

Aside from an issue with Monkey 2 and lighting (when spanning multiple monitors) everything runs great on my GTX 950 and CPU usage is quite low. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ll be posting a video of this soon which is a bit more interesting.

cocon
    Participant

Perhaps I would go for ultrawide monitor soon, I hope that it would work as well with Monkey2.

Richard Betson
    Participant

I looked into getting an ultrawide like a 34″ in size. For my work flow and older eyes (ultawides are smaller in height and width and are 21:9) the three 27″ monitors were a better choice and price.ย  I got all three monitors (HP IPS 1080p 6ms GTG) for less then $500 new.

I do love having them and running Gimp, Blender and Ted2GO (for example) on all separate monitors. Wide screen gaming rocks as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Richard Betson
    Participant

Here is a video of Monkey 2 / Alien Phoenix running on a triple monitor setup as mentioned above. I have lighting off because of a Monkey lighting issue but it looks pretty sweet even without it. There are hundreds of images / map objects in view and Monkey 2 hardly breaks a sweat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wide screen triple monitor video.

I have also included a screen shot at a resolution 5985×1080.

If Mark gets multiple monitor lighting going it will look even better.

medi
    Participant

I found more than 25″ difficult for my head. But glad to see linux now can run geforce. I may setup one to see if Its font is good. I just quit Win10 to save my eyes. With a just 2K monitor, ย I had to resize the screen from one app to another.

medi
    Participant

I found, non-curved ultra monitors not practical for work. I have not tried curved one. My setup is simple, a 25″ and a large ipad on a stand.

Richard Betson
    Participant

@medi

Linux does indeed run Nvidia graphic cards and does it very well. I play War Thunder now and then and I love the wide screen experience that the three monitors provide. I prefer the 27″ size and it might be because I’m 6′ 3″ and they feel right to me. At 1080p the PPI (pixels per inch) is around 88 (27″ 1080p) with 100 being, I think, ideal. Scaling is an issue on all 4k (and 2K) monitors as the PPI is to high for most with regard to interfaces. I’m not partial to curved monitors as you really need an ultrawide (21:9) or maybe three 16:9’s for a surround experience. For me personally I find curved displays gimmicky.

The three 16:9 27″ monitors I have suit my work flow and I can’t imagine not having them after using them for a bit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

medi
    Participant

Work setup is very personal. A friend of mine work only on armchair with a laptop. He says he switches apps and don’t need any large screen. I can’t. His laptop is only a 14″ one! I realized that he has changed its resolution to lower to see better, but he tolerates the loss of clarity. This is all because of the armchair. Win 10 screen is good now with 2K/4K, but still worse than Mac, so, I switched to Mac. I have realized that in Mac, I don’t have to change resolution from program to program, as all apps look uniform, at least with my IDEs: WingIDE, Netbean, even the old MaxIDE look good. Ted2go screen, in smooth theme, looks like high quality printed brochure. However:

Good that Linux has GeForce drivers now; I will install it in my win 10 desktop to see how the text is with my 2K monitor. If I get a good result, my assumption is that it can work with a good laptop too, then, I can ย sell my Mac to get a lot cheaper Laptop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.