Monkey2 Git Guide

Home Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help Monkey2 Git Guide

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  cocon 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

cocon
    Participant

Monkey2 Git Guide

These are some useful commands I used in order to compile Monkey2 from source. It will be a good idea to post here how things are done, so others can learn too.

First thing is that you can acquire a GIT client and install it, setup your local username and email and then be able begin working with it. You can find lots of tutorials on how to do this on Youtube, it’s very simple and easy so I won’t cover it in details.

I will assume that you have your GIT client ready to roll and I will jump straight into the examples.
    How to download the Monkey2 repository?
    This will create a local clone of Monkey2 in your hard disk that will allow you compile and use it.

How to update Monkey2 to the latest version?
    While you are in your monkey2 directory (e.g. D:\Programming\monkey2) you can write this command to see if there is any new changes in the origin repository [git status origin] in order to download these changes in to your local copy you can type this.

An alternative way to update your repository is like this. However you can use this only if you are specially interested or there is a specific reason to do so.

How to download any submodules?
    Currently at this point only Ted2Go exists as a subproject. If you want to acquire it you can type this.

How to update any submodules?

In the same manner, if you are interested to use the alternative way. From what I have learnt the only reason to use this if there is some weird collision and GIT asks you to “fast forward” your commit.

That was the end of the tutorial, I hope you find it useful. If you have any other info or other ideas or suggestions, let me know so I see how I can help.

nerobot
    Participant

I use SourceTree for git. I prefer gui instead of command line. 🙂

May post short ‘howto’ if someone is interested in.

cocon
    Participant

It will be a good idea, won’t hurt to post it. Can you make a huge image (i.e. 1500×1500) that explains it?

Generally I use “gihub for windows” but I consider switching to sourcetree, lots of people like this one.

nobuyuki
    Participant

@nerobot

I also use sourcetree, and I think it would be useful to have!

nerobot
    Participant

There is a short article “How to use SourceTree app for managing git repository”.

Install & Account

Install app from here: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com

Enter your git account info to get access to github (there is a prompt for first start).

Clone monkey2

Start app and press Clone/Add (see st-1.png).

In clone dialog (see st-2.png):

• paste monkey2 repository url,
    • select folder to copy into (if folder exists it must be empty),
    • enter name for repo (it’s bookmark for soursetree),
    • and press Clone button.
    • wait loading

App overview

See st-3.png

After loading you will stay on default branch – master.

To use develop or any other branch, you need to checkout it.

• Look at Remotes list below master branch.
    • Right-click on remotes::origin::develop and choose “Checkout origin/develop…” and press Ok.
    • Ok, now you stay on develop branch (bold font).

To change local branch simply double-click on one of them.

To grab new stuff – just press Pull button on main toolbar.

Pull and run rebuildall script if needed.

Any questions? 🙂

cocon
    Participant

Nice one, thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.