monkey2-pi-003 release checklist

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects monkey2-pi-003 release checklist

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AdamStrange 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

I am pretty close to first beta release for Raspberry Pi.

The following still need to be checked off

• An SDL2 level CloseWindow hotkey to reduce calamity of apps with no other method of exit
    • BigTed RequestString replacements for RequestFile and RequestPath (X desktop not supported)

Have had some very Amiga moments in last few days, it’s like Ted finally running in Blitz mode with no stupid desktop distractions.

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

I have created a thread on the Pi programming forums here.

AdamStrange
    Participant

excellent. But… How do I compile anything without ted being compiled already?

Is there some secret command line way of compiling?

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

Hi Adam, to use monkey2 from the command line you need to invoke the mx2cc_platform command as found in the bin folder.

AdamStrange
    Participant

er, ok.

Can you treat me like i’m dumb and give me the commands to do it?

(i’m not dumb, just not familiar with the pi and the command line ;[ )

I have tried to invoke before, but I ended up with an unwanted Tandarin Demon that played havoc with my soft furnishings…

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

BigTed (sibling of Ted2) is nearly ready for use on pi, not long now.

AdamStrange
    Participant

tried compiling big ted – compile worked, big ted didn’t I’ll try ted next

AdamStrange
    Participant

nope ted2 compiled, but not function.

Note sure if it is a library issue? Both exhibit the same behaviour:

• fullscreen window with just blank grey blocks denoting the four main areas:menu, document, right tabs, output. no text or anything else shown
    • when the mouse is moved the screen flashes completely white, either settling on white or back to the grey blocks
    • no way to exit

AdamStrange
    Participant

Simon,

Just to let you know. I’ve taken the scripts menu item from bigted and incorporated it into ted21

Are there other bits from bigted you would recommend me adding?

Also would you like ted21 added to your sources?

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

A few things:

Alt F4 should quit BigTed if it hasn’t crashed.

To find monkey2 the bigted binary should be copied and run from monkey2/bin.

There is an issue where bad values end up in bigted.state.json’s windowRect which I need to fix.

If you cat /boot/config.txt what is your GPU_MEM set to? Which Pi do you have?

Would you be able to test my binary Pi releases here to make sure they work –

https://github.com/nitrologic/m2/tree/master/releases

AdamStrange
    Participant

mmmm. /boot/config.txt

no GPU_MEM set at all

I’ve got a pi3, and a funny feeling it is to blame. It really looks like it’s got great hardware and virtually no support for any OS or anything.

It feels like it could be brilliant, if only the pi team would actually create an OS for it.

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

Hmm. I have had nothing but pleasure from the standard Debian Jessie release and chose to respect the Raspbian team as gods.

Currently my Pi2 is hooked up to mouse, keyboard, Yamaha Dx7 (first ever MIDI instrument brought to market?) another USB Akai controller, Korg Micro Kontrol, stereo and low res DVI monitor.

I do play with boot config.txt a bit when switching monitors and perhaps I did add the gpu_mem setting…

I am using the DX7 keyboard as a standing desk and doing more and more coding in BigTed on Pi each day. I was going to post a video this morning but vsynth locked up after a few minutes when I may have bumped the scan midi bus button.

Anyway, I was being a bit optimistic about release schedule so am now aiming for later this week to release a monkey2-pi-03 but am giving it a good thrashing and looking forward to upgrading to pi3 where hopefully it will perform quite spritely.

AdamStrange
    Participant

Yep, everything I hear about the pi2 is good. Pi3 is something else. none of the distributions support the four cores properly. support for anything pi3 at the OS level is not good either.

It’s why I have a feeling that on the pi2 – ted would work and pi3 – problems. This could be to do with libraries and downloads – nothing is simple or straightforward

The hardware – superb!

The software – not so super

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.