Native GUI

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  slenkar 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

degac
    Participant

Hi

I’ve just read the last post about a ‘rethinking’ of mojox and module manager improvements.

I’ve looked for any previous post in this forum, but I’ve not found any information about a possibile ‘native gui’ (ala MaxGUI) module (neither is in the roadmap).

mojox is too much ‘game oriented’ (and gfx based( and as final user I confirm a ‘native’ GUI  system is needed (not only some file requester/confirm, I’ve written so much apps in Bmax plenty of configurations panels/toolbar/options & etc- I can’t go back.

Are around possible solutions?

Moreover, if Mark is still planning the Android/iOS/mobile targets, he should consider to implement a mobile-native-gui for those targets, not only for ‘game’.

Cheers

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

IMHO if you want to write quality applications in mobile you use the toolkits provided. Any attempts at a generic implementation fail to leverage the inherent nature of neither and you end up with a useless POC such as QT5 or worse.

That said bindings for QT(quick?) would be extremely nice for monkey2, once reflection is in for monkey2 I would hope someone might be up for that challenge.

I think it should be a pure QT binding, any form of maxgui abstraction would just lower the common denominator further.

Mojox however has chance to catch up to state of the art agnostic desktop applicati0ns such as how Visual Studio Code presents itself. This look is a lot more professional than an app that uses the hosts look and feel.

PD8
    Participant

A native GUI module for monkey desktop targets is a

brilliant idea , I can’t see any reason why it can’t be done

is anyone planning on doing anything like that for Monkey 2 ?

zxretrosoft
    Participant

I fully support and agree. Native GUI is literally neccesity :/

degac
    Participant

At the moment the solution I could use is to write in MX2 the application as console application, and use BlitzMax+MaxGUI to create the front-end. Not the best solution, but the only one that could work.
    I’m using this approach in many applications I wrote in Bmax, as it easy to maintain and make it modular.

In any case I would pay for a Monkey2 GUI module (ala MaxGUI, lightweight and fast!)

slenkar
    Participant

MaxGUI seemed to be trying to create a unified interface for 3 different operating systems, even that was difficult .

So a monkey2 native gui app would basically need different code for each platform.

As you cant make a html5,iOS,android and windows button all appear in the same position at the same size without working on the module for a year or more.

The responsibility for the different platforms should fall to the monkey user.

The community would probably compile a list of tips n tricks to get simple things looking somewhat consistent across platforms.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.