New iOS device for Mark

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Development New iOS device for Mark

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Amon 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Playniax
    Participant

Hi,

Mark seems to only have an iPad2 for testing so I thought it would be cool and necessary to get him a more recent iOS device, at least an iPhone 6 so he can continue testing Monkey2 for iOS. I am willing to put in a $100 NZD. I think it doesn’t have to be a new one so I think we need around $400 NZD?

I found this for example: https://nz.yabphones.com/products/apple-iphone-6?variant=32465415941

Who is in?

abakobo
    Participant

I’m in. (same amount)

CopperCircle
    Participant

I’m in same amount again.  I develop for iOS and Android at work and really the base model for the iPhone is now the iPhone 6s that model supports the new AR Kit library and it wont be long till Apple drop the older models with iOS12.

Diffrenzy
    Keymaster

I’ll be the cheapskate here, put me down for 50 NZD.

Playniax
    Participant

Cool! We need a bit more but it seems we are close to an iphone 6. What does a 6s cost in NZ?

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Hey everyone, thanks for the offer of help!

It’s true, my ipad2 and nvidia shield are likely to be ‘retired’ pretty soon, ie: no more OS updates, so if I want to keep testing on real devices (‘if’…!) I’ll need to buy one. Frankly, I would rather  just stick with simulators and leave it up to the community to do the real world testing…I tried the ‘buy lots of HW’ route with monkey-x and it really just made me go broker faster so I wont be going down that road again.

Also, there appears to be a bit of a glitch with iphone6 and ‘display zoom’ mode. Unfortunately, inexplicably, iphone simulator does not offer this feature so to fix it I’ll need a ‘real’ iphone6, so my choice of which real device to get is sort of made for me on the ios front. I would actually rather it was a newer model as iphone6 will itself likely be canned in the near future. Are we up to 8 now? Or is it 10?!?

There are however some iphone6’s available on trademe.co.nz (NZ’s answer to ebay) some with very low reserves, some a bit beaten up etc, so I’ll have a go at buying one online ‘ultra cheap’ there, ie: <100NZD.

That’s if Diffrenzy hasn’t already fixed this issue? He had already found one related bug and now the reported display size is only off by 3 pixels. Could be a rounding error or some sort? The actual issue is here:

https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/issues/331

Pakz
    Participant

I think the paypal setting for the donations is set to only donate 7 dollars at a time.

Diffrenzy
    Keymaster

This is great, – I’ve updated the paypal donate plugin settings so there is now no default amount now.

Pakz
    Participant

Ok, I emptied out my paypal into the donation. Only 10.50$ was on it though. I will check soon if I can put more on it and give more.

nerobot
    Participant

I donated $25 usd via paypal.

(don’t know is it visible in widget, I just clicked on Donate button in the main page)

rskgames
    Participant

I donated USD 25 using the donate button in the main page.

Playniax
    Participant

Just did my bit.

CopperCircle
    Participant

I have donated 🙂

*I hope Mark can get an iPhone6s as the powers at Apple are really pushing to drop older hardware and also bear in mind that now all new apps must support the annoying iPhoneX notch so the iOS target needs a few tweaks

Diffrenzy
    Keymaster

Great stepup guys! Results so far:

Current Donations total $433.55 NZD 

Playniax $100 NZD – DONATED
    abakobo $100 NZD – DONATED
    CopperCircle $100 NZD – DONATED
    Diffrenzy $50 NZD ( 36$ USD) – DONATED
    Pakz $14.55 NZD ( 10.50$ USD) DONATED
    nerobot $34.50 (25$ USD ) DONATED
    rskgames $34.50 (25$ USD ) DONATED

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Do all iphone6’s have the ‘display zoom’ feature?

Do all versions of ios have the display zoom feature?

Just don’t wanna accidentally buy one without it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.