Phoenix USC

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Projects Phoenix USC

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Betson 5 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Richard Betson
    Participant

Hi,

I have been hard at work getting the Phoenix USC pre-alpha demo ready for release. I have included an action packed video of me making a run through of the map in GOD mode. The video shows 40 bot’s in the maps base filling the screen with hundreds of weapons fire objects and stunning lighting and visual effects. I have updated all of the artwork which adds to the wild bot game play. After a lot of hard work designing a custom game engine (Alien Phoenix) I’m very pleased with the results, achieving the mix of spcae combat and eye candy I was aiming for.

The pre-alpha demo will include 3 game play scenarios. Capture the flag, engage an enemy squadron in arena space and clear an entrenched force in an unfinished base. These scenarios will help to give you an idea of what the online MMO game play will be like.

For a look at images of the game checkout the my IndieDB images here. You can follow Phoenix USC on Facebook and Twitter.

Phoenix USC is powered by the Alien Phoenix gaming framework (for Monkey2) which you can follow in this forum. It’s in a pre-alpha (maybe slightly proto) state at the moment but will be available to all for free soon.

Phoenix USC now has an ITCH.IO page. πŸ™‚
    http://vidiot-x.itch.io/phoenix-universe-of-space-combat

Long live Monkey2!

Richard Betson
    Participant

Phoenix USC now has an ITCH.IO page. πŸ™‚
    http://vidiot-x.itch.io/phoenix-universe-of-space-combat

Richard Betson
    Participant

Live bots! I have bots moving around and responding. Pretty cool to see actual space combat. Weapons impacts now feature custom light colors. Bot ships now explode when killed. Video soon!

Richard Betson
    Participant

It’s alive! Checkout this video showing off a new bot AI. Phoenix USC comes alive in a battle with 40 bots. It also features custom colors for weapons impacts and satisfying bot kill explosions.

This is definitely worth a look.

regulark
    Participant

That looks pretty sweet, the lighting makes it look rather intense! Is this using mojo or has it been heavily modified/a custom graphics implementation?

On the Itch page I find the contrast between the text and background a bit hard to read πŸ™‚

Richard Betson
    Participant

@regulark

Thanks!

Is this using mojo or has it been heavily modified/a custom graphics implementation?

I’m using my gaming framework Alien Phoenix which uses Mojo. So at it’s core it is Mojo that does all the work (lighting/shadow wise). I use all native Monkey2 code and ‘No’ third-party or other libraries, just the Monkey2 API.

On the Itch page I find the contrast between the text and background a bit hard to read

I’ll make some changes to improve readability. πŸ˜‰

Rock on,
    Rich

Richard Betson
    Participant

My Phoenix USC ITCH.io page should be easier to read now. πŸ™‚

papgar
    Participant

Looks really great reminds me of Subspace, this 2D online space shooter from the late 90s.

If I had only one nitpick it would be the lit explosions from bullet death are rather large/bright and thus distracting.Β  Maybe only use it for the “big guns”.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Looks really great reminds me of Subspace

DING DING! You nailed it. I have maybe 2000+ hours playing SubSpace which still lives as Continuum. That community will be / is behind this project. Subspace / Continuum is the inspiration for Phoenix USC and will be payable online as an MMO. I have tried to stay true to Continuum (SubSpace) game-play including the use of inertia physics. I designed and developed Alien Phoenix (my gaming framework) just to support this game as ‘nothing’ I looked at as far as third party libraries was even close to supporting all that is needed on a single CPU core.Β  Right now with all the bots running and a resolution of 1080p I have a CPU (single core) load of about 44% (max) which leaves plenty of headroom for networking.

I can tell you this, more then a few of my supporters call this SubSpace 3. πŸ˜€

the lit explosions from bullet death are rather large/bright and thus distracting

I think with some balancing, like alpha adjustments and color level/saturation I can achieve a good clear look.

Richard Betson
    Participant

I have posted some images of the latest developments on Phoenix USC’s IndieDB page.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Here is a screen capture of a triple monitor wide-screen setup (res: 5760×1080) running Phoenix USC at 60fps. The force is strong with mojo, Monkey2 and Alien Phoenix. πŸ˜€ Of special note is that this is using Alien Phoenix’s windowed GUI. I will post more about the advantages in the Alien Phoenix thread.

You can get a nice perspective of the map in the full size image bellow. A bit compressed because of the image source size.

nerobot
    Participant

Wow! Need to have 6 monitors! πŸ™‚

c0d3r9
    Participant

But curved of course πŸ˜‰

Richard Betson
    Participant

I have improved the space background in this wide-screen image. Before I was stretching the background, now it’s in full detail. Looks sweet. Now that I’m running around in 5760×1080 it’s hard to go back to 1920×1080. πŸ˜€

Anyone here have a 4K display or triple monitor setup? 4K should rock pretty well for this game.

Richard Betson
    Participant

Checkout Alien Phoenix, Monkey2 and Emscripten powering Phoenix USC at a 3K resolution (5760×1080) at 60fps on the Chromium web browser. That’s a lighted, twitch style action game running at 60fps in a web browser at 3K, in a local GUI window and on Linux Mint. That’s pretty good efficiency and performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.