Poor 3D Performance

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Development Poor 3D Performance

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DaY 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DaY
    Participant

So i decided to try the new 3d part of M2 and all the samples i have tried runs at sub 10 fps now i can run full hdr/blinn-phong/shadowmaps etc at 300+ fps using my little DirectX11 Engine (https://github.com/WeyrSDev/vEngine-b) in forward rendering mode were as i see you are using deffered i dont under stand how it runs so slow and yet my crap code does not?

My drivers are fine as far as i know but isnt deffered supposed to be faster than forward?

Win 8.1Pro 64

8GB ram

AMD A4-5000APU quad core

ive added my dxcaps so you can check my system info and what it supports(easier than typing it all)

Attachments:
    1. dxview.zip

Ethernaut
    Participant

No idea why it’s slow on your end, but it doesn’t seem right. My laptop can usually run at 1280×720 without problems at 60fps, even when I select the intel HD graphics instead of the discreet GPU. Maybe your computer/drivers have trouble running OpenGL instead of DirectX?

“isnt deffered supposed to be faster than forward?”

Not sure about that, I think it depends mainly on number of lights. Forward can be faster for simple stuff on old hardware. Deferred can require a lot of bandwidth in the GPU, and some old cards (or mobile targets) may not deal with it very well, as far as I know.

Cheers.

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

It does indeed sound like there’s something weird going on with your opengl drivers. Your HW looks fine – have you updated your graphics drivers lately?

Deferred renderers are generally faster if you have scenes with lots of lights, with fewer lights they can in fact be a bit slower. On my nvidia 970 they’re about the same with just a single light. On hardware with crappy video memory bandwidth (eg: mobile) deferred is considerably slower – also, many mobile devices don’t even support the necessary opengl extensions needed for deferred renderering.

DaY
    Participant

no not changed anything either i can run a deferred demo in blitzmax fine also other demos from github works fine it seems to be poor use of the deferred  system in the demo’s i could run it in render doc to look for bottle necks but i would rather not need to i may just create a level in 3dmax and fill it with lights etc and test it unless some one has a large demo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.