possible virus

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  abakobo 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

BlueSteelAU
    Participant

I just tried d/loading monkey2 and running one of its program samples I chose linetest

I loaded it to and told it to run..

then my virus checker BitDefender (with everything up to date)

cam up and told me

The file C:\Monkey2-v2018.09\bananas\linetest\linetest.products\Windows\Linetest.exe is infected with Gen:Trojan.Heur.Hype.hwW@am15Kpd and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean.

if it’s a false positive how do I get around having to recover them from quarantine every time I try to run something in monkey2

Danilo
    Participant

In many virus scanners you can add a folder (“C:\Monkey2-v2018.09\”) for exclusion from scanning.

Exlude folder in BitDefender

If your development tools (C++ compiler, linker, libs) or system could be infected, this could infect your compiled programs as well. If that’s not the case, you can exclude your source folders.

BlueSteelAU
    Participant

so I take it that it is a false positive ?

abakobo
    Participant

There has been some AV in past that had white listed monkey2. (I thought BitDefender did it)
    It’s most probably a false positive, and the message you get is probably because of a whitelist+heuristic strategy. The “.Heur” is an heuristic detection, so it has not formaly found a virus but think it is probably one. https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/articles/what-is-heuristic-antivirus-detection/
    But as Danilo said, if your devtools are infected, your compiled execs can be infected too..
    I abandoned super-AV’s and use now windows defender, mainly because those heuristic detections are a real PITA when combined with various programming languages.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.