Reorder drawings – Change drawing order

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help Reorder drawings – Change drawing order

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cocon 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cocon
    Participant

Have you found any code or used one to reorder entities based on distance?

AdamStrange
    Participant

You would need to edit the mojo3d source for this.

The file you need to look at is:

mojo3d/render/renderer.monkey2

and the function RenderRenderOps

My advice would be to leave well alone, as Mark will certainly change things here at some stage. But if you are happy with a preserved version then tinker away 🙂

cocon
    Participant

Thanks, I will have a peek. By the moment I use only mojo for drawing rects and stuff, up until I have a solid foundation for a codebase which later I can adapt faster to an engine.

AdamStrange
    Participant

OK. Think I got my wires crossed. I thought you were talking about 3d stuff.

In Mojo, everything is generally optimised on a first come first draw basis. so the only thing you need to do is run some form of depth system.

let’s assume you have a series of entities (of your creation, boxes, circles, sprites, etc). And each entity has an x,y location

You (the viewer) also need to have an x,y location – so you can depth sort

First you need a list or array of the wanted entities to be drawn

for each entity find the length from the viewer:

xx = vx-ex[]

yy = vy-ey[]

length =Sqrt(xx*xx + yy*yy)

then you just do a quick sort of the lengths – the bigger the length the further away from the viewer and the lower in the sortlist

Lastly you draw the entities in the sortlist starting with the item furthest away

cocon
    Participant

Although I was thinking about crazy algorithms for a moment, up until I looked that it’s a matter only of sorting based on a specific criteria, which is cool, it makes things very simple.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.