Speed VS Verbos

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jesse 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

scurty
    Participant

This is an ongoing topic in the programming world I’ve noticed ever since I’ve wrote my first line of code.
    “Which language is the best?”
    “Which language has the best compiler?”
    “How do I write efficient code whilst it being simple to understand for humans?”
    “*Insert More FAQ Here*”

(I’ve messed around with many languages.)

Java as I understand, tends to avoid Pointers in its core Libs and usually compiles to Bytecode for portability.
    Python is widely used though usually an interpreted sector, though it’s highly flexible. (CPython is a thing)
    C/C++ tends to be hard to fully grasp and utilize to it’s fullest for newer programmers, and there’s countless libraries to choose from.
    BASIC is easy to learn but lacks the freedom and power in some instances.
    C# is cool. That’s about it.
    HTML/JS/CSS is a great example of almost perfect synchronicity of domain specific languages.

However in every language there’s a portion of programmers that argue over what’s faster, more compatible, more verbos in writing/reading, or in general just the perfect all around language to use VS domain specific languages like HTML.

I’m curious to see the point of view in this community. Should it be “function over frills” or vice-versa? Should we strive for a balance? How would you support your argument; evidence wise? And can there ever truly be a perfect language?
    How do you go about programming efficient code in Monkey as of now?
    And more importantly how do you think the Quantum programming generation has to offer for classic computing needs?

I figured this would be a fun topic. Aha.

Regards, Scott. 😛

Pakz
    Participant

Knowing how to use a programming language is important 🙂

It was with only with MonkeyX that I learned how to use Classes(Thanks to the forums – I skipped blitzmax) With Java I had a lot of trouble finding examples and was not able to learn a lot of that language.

Modern blitz research languages are faster with the pixel drawing.

Jesse
    Participant

programming languages are relatively important to what your needs are. Now a day most languages can compile code to its ultimate speed. But even if they don’t most languages can produce results that are above what the program requires for output.

Even now at the speed at which these languages run they can not perform at the required speed that some programmers need for required output. So some sacrifices and ingenious thinking need to take place to resolve those limitations. In other words, no matter how much power and how optimized the computer language is, it will not meet all of the requirements by the average programmer. An experience programmer in a specific computer language will understand the limitations of the language and will try to optimize his thinking to the limitations of the output(executing program).

if you know several languages you can probably determine which language produces the fastest output but many not be necessary to determine if the program runs efficiently in either computer language. In my opinion the language speed is not as important as the familiarity with the computer language and the ability of the programmer to produce results.

> “How do I write efficient code whilst it being simple to understand for humans?”

You don’t. You write code for you to understand it and for other “programmers” to have a try at understanding it. That’s why there is such a thing as documentation. programmers in theory will understand the basic concept if you make the logic simple and give explanation in step by step what every line does in you code. But that doesn’t mean that they will automatically be able solve any errors with in, or can go and duplicate you program on their own. the best advice I think I can give you is to keep you functions, methods, variable and other things as properly named and documented as possible.so if other programmers are familiar with the concept can get an idea of what it’s about and can possibly even modify and debug the code.

Also, I feel that there is no need to change languages if what you are doing with the language serves your purpose and you can properly function as efficiently as possible with the limitations of such a language. I know some programmers have dropped a computer language that they have been learning for years because something is not being implemented that they in theory think it’s essential while never producing anything that really needs it. I call that a serious waste of time. whether it’s Java, C/CPP, C#, BlitzMax etc.. It doesn’t matter what language you choose, what matters is what you can do with it and how you use it. The only times I feel any one should move to another language is when the language is abandoned by the author and there is no hope for it and/or will be outdated sooner or later and or when it’s not keeping up with the continually changing technology and of course while trying something and finding that you like it better while being practical.

I think that anybody that is going to write an application and/or game should start writing it now. Not one, two or three year from now when they have build a data base of code or a master library to use for their application/game. because if you think that that is going to make it a lot easier to write your game, you are sadly mistaken. codebase and libraries are maybe about 5 to 10 percent of the application/game and most of the time not the hardest thing either.

I say start writing your game or application, get familiar with the language as you write it. Do a lot of research including asking questions to more experienced programmers so that when you finish it you will have that much more experience with it and possibly be that much easier to write the next game.

Just my 2 cents, opinions whatever.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.