July 30, 2017 at 7:51 pm #9605
Still going strong just done the conversion methods to take Integers and give me a four byte string (used for networking stuff) and converting things the old functions worked but failed sometimes these new ones work flawlessly. Now they are complete I can get the networking ‘send’ system done that will enable me to send messages to and fro across the network environment.
One thing that has come to light is that the old system never allowed for ‘Hosted’ games they were always dedicated this was a oversight on my part and the new system will allow you to do just that :). Yes I have also added in code to make it so if you do not have the correct username or password the network disconnects the client 😉August 2, 2017 at 6:48 pm #9681
Well we now have sending of data coded and the adding of packets and receipts for processing, next up will be sorting through them for the ones that are ‘system’ packets and the ones that are game/app specific. After all that is done I will be able to get on with getting more of the networking side done and hopefully completed soon.
After that its onto the renderer 😀August 2, 2017 at 7:55 pm #9682
Are you going to use Pyro2 for graphics ?August 2, 2017 at 7:57 pm #9683
Nah we are going to use our own system called Ultim 🙂August 6, 2017 at 9:16 pm #9751
It’s all coming together slowly but surely with the new system coded I have hit a Fiber thing as the networking system calls LOADS of external data it appears that the system doesn’t like that. I am currently removing the Fibers and at the moment it’s all moving forwards nicely 🙂
This new direction will bring it more into what the old networking system was like but with a more refined and upto date take on it. I do have to say trying every other networking system out there this one is the simplest and easiest to use and gives you IPv6 which was important for me as it future proofs the system for decades to come 🙂November 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm #11567
After my networking files were corrupted along with some of my other data I have restored from a backup, dont worry this isnt a bad thing as it allows me to get into the other sections of the game that I wanted to work on like the galaxy map etc. To this end I will be adding networking last and diving into getting all the graphics down that I wanted this will allow me to get some technology demonstrations out there for everyone to see and play with :D.November 8, 2017 at 7:00 pm #11569
Yes! Technology demonstration!November 12, 2017 at 6:24 pm #11656
Can anyone guess what I am making 😉November 12, 2017 at 9:29 pm #11662
Mark guessed correctly in another thread and thanks to his and DruggedBunnys help I can now load models into MX2.
Next up is the system loader and sector loader then it’s going to be getting it all together so we can fly around in it 🙂November 16, 2017 at 8:01 pm #11752
Well Ultim now has the string system converted over to Monkey2 and I also have ‘reconverted’ the file system as well so I am now “Knee deep in the loaders” once there are in I can then build a starting sector to test in the game and see how it all looks.
One thing I can say I am enjoying getting back into 3d as I wanted the new Star Rogue to follow Star Flight 2000 with some changes which are:
1) Star systems – the old SF2000 star systems were ALL in one world space. If you consider the whole 3d zone is a world space it only allowed them to be -65535 to 65535 on the XYZ which wasnt very big. This limitation is now gone with the new system which splits star systems up into sectors EACH sector being -65000 to 65000 in size. You will not be allowed to fly to the edges of the sector which will be revealed why later but the Jumpgates will be MUCH more used now to navigate around.
2) Stations – the old stations were ‘smaller’ than the bigger ships they were placeholders, the new stations are HUGE and will easily allow players to dock with them giving a more complete feel to the game.
3) Galaxy – there are going to be a fixed number of systems in the galaxy but more and more will be added as time goes on and the original ten races will be in there.
4) Completeness – SF2000 was never fully finished (what game is) mainly because of the original programming language has serious issues with files over a certain size this time I want to complete the project and get it out the door.
5) Networking – Star Rogue will at some point feature a Server/Client networking model that will allow players to host games for themselves and friends to join when this will be is not decided yet but it is planned.November 23, 2017 at 7:24 pm #11931
Well having converted the Ultim.FileSystem class over from FileStream to Stream which wasnt that hard (it was just removing ‘File’ ) yes really it was that simple thank to some fore thought on my part. I plowed into the loaders, now these were working amazingly well apart from a error at the end of the file. After a few seconds I realised that reading a string then checking for end of file and throwing a error wasnt a good idea as reading the string resulted in sometimes reaching the ‘end of the file’ so error checking is done before anything is read now.
On the whole coding seems more fun now and much less of a grind than it was with previous versions I am taking this one much slower as I want to get it finished (yes this one I will finish) to this end I have MonkeyX2 on my Mac, my Ubuntu Linux laptop and my Windows laptop for massed exposure 😀
Next on my list is getting the system loader done then bringing in the sector generator, after a little more thinking I will still have sectors BUT the player can choose where to go. Playing Starflight 2000 gave me this insight that seventeen years or so later technology has moved forwards to ‘allow’ FTL jumps inside systems making navigation much easier so I will be putting that in there 😀
EDIT:Now 50% of the star system loader is now converted I just have one method to bring across then I can move on the sector generation and getting the game started 😀
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.