Steam Direct Fee & Upcoming Store Updates

Home Forums General Discussion Steam Direct Fee & Upcoming Store Updates

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Voidwalker 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

therevills
    Participant

impixi
    Participant

What did it cost before?

TBH, from a consumer’s perspective I can only see negatives: Steam is already flooded with “crap”; if the entry barrier is even lower it’s going to get worse.

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Yes, 100 is good news – they were talking about 5000 or so originally!

> What did it cost before?

I believe it was 100 to put as many games as you wanted up on greenlight.

The new system is much more like ‘normal’ publishing too, which I prefer.

GfK
    Participant

So, this Steam Direct thing then…

Is it like, “pay $100, guaranteed distribution via Steam”?  Or is it “pay $100, and we’ll definitely or most likely possibly at some time or other have a look if it’s any good, if you’re lucky”?

What I’m getting at, is, is there potential for instant and total loss of your $100 if they choose not to publish?  Reading the Steam blog on the subject does not seem to touch on this eventuality.

therevills
    Participant

Here is a link with more info:

https://partner.steamgames.com/steamdirect

Basically:

1. Sign paperwork
    2. Pay app deposit fee
    3. Complete bank and tax paperwork
    4. Upload Build and prepare store page
    5. Steam review to ensure your game runs (1-5 days)
    6. Timing requirement (30 day waiting period)
    7. Release

GfK
    Participant

Thanks for the info.  Is it worth having solitaire games on there?

[edit] Jesus… just been having a look.  Tried to download the Steamworks SDK but I apparently can’t unless I give them $100 first.  I had a read through what I could see of the documentation and without access to the SDK to experiment with, I’m at a total loss as to how to get Blitzmax (or Monkey2) to a state where it’s acceptable.

Any pointers on what to expect, greatly appreciated.  $100 isn’t much but I’m not about to flush money down the toilet without knowing what I’m getting myself into.

therevills
    Participant

Is it worth having solitaire games on there?

Very much so 🙂

You dont need to use Steamworks if you dont want.

I’m having a hard time finding the BlitzMax thread which was very useful regarding the SDK…

GfK
    Participant

So, do they put their own wrapper around it like BFG et al?

I was under the impression that the Steamworks SDK left it up to me to implement stuff which connects with their servers.  If not, what exactly is it for?

therevills
    Participant

Yeah when you upload a build via the SteamWorks SDK it will automatically add its wrapper/DRM stuff.

So to clarify, you need to use the SDK for uploading to Steam but you dont have to use it directly in your games.

The SDK allows you to add Steam achievements, leader boards, etc.

Here are the BlitzMax threads relating to the SDK:

http://wasted.nz/posts.php?topic=84183

http://wasted.nz/posts.php?topic=104599#1269235

GfK
    Participant

Thanks for the links.

Just looking at other solitaire games on Steam and came across a couple of yours.  How come you’ve pitched them so cheap?  One of them is only £1.99, less a 20% discount which drops it to £1.59.

Is that all we’re worth these days? 🙁

therevills
    Participant

Is that all we’re worth these days?

Pretty much… I did have them higher when they were first released, but they were released awhile ago so I dropped the price.

Its going to be interesting to see how Steam Direct affects prices in general…

Our games have been selling on Steam since September 2015 and its made us a decent 5 figure sum over that time, not outstanding but it is an extra income stream.

GfK
    Participant

Thanks – just signed up and paid the ransom.  Waiting for verification now.

The W-8BEN section needs MUCH better explained.  Tax stuff is always a pain in the arse – especially when dealing with foreign terminology.  Some of it may as well have been written in bloody Chinese.

GfK
    Participant

Glitch in the matrix, maybe, but I just logged into my Steamworks account and everything’s now been verified – but they didn’t send any email notification of this.  Something to watch out for possibly if anyone else is awaiting verification, too.

Will start fiddling with it tomorrow, see what occurs. 🙂

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

So, I have to pay 100USD to write a steam module?!?

GfK
    Participant

Probably, as from what I can gather that’s the only way to get access to the API/docs.  You’d think they’d want to encourage language support.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.