Sublime Text 3 language file and snippets

Home Forums General Programming Discussion Sublime Text 3 language file and snippets

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  wiebow 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

wiebow
    Participant

Hello all,

I am using ST3 to code Monkey 2 stuff, and as my language file is behaving fairly well, I’ve put it on github:

https://github.com/mutatedmonkey/sublimetext3

I also added handy snippets. Give it a go if you want to and let me know what you think.

Example:

Attachments:

peterigz
    Participant

Thanks for this 🙂 For some reason sometimes things don’t get highlighted (see attched), any idea why that might be? Sometimes other things like Method or Class don’t get highlighted either.

wiebow
    Participant

Glad you like it! I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can fix those points. If you can attach some sample code, that would help.

One tip: close If blocks always with an Endif. If you use only End, it will think the Method, Function or Class you are in is ended :/ The troubles come from Mark allowing a simple End to end loads of different blocks and definitions, but the main reason is that there are a few different If definitions, like single line, with a Then, without a Then, with Elseif, etc… Not much I can do about that, unless some code convention can be agreed upon.

Another tip: if a definition of an area is not highlighted, it is usually because of a premature closure of a code block definition earlier in the code. So always look up: go to the last code that was highlighted properly and see if you can find areas that are closed of too early, or in an unexpected way (unexpected by me 🙂 )

peterigz
    Participant

Ahh the end if fixed most issues, thanks. It still doesn’t seem to highlight Interface or Class though eg:

wiebow
    Participant

Ah, yes, I have ASSUMED people use a capital letter for interface names, for example IMyInterface. So fixed that. The same for methods. Fixed that as well. I also added parameters to interface bodies, so should work with all other parameter definitions as well.

I’ve uploaded a new version. Give it a go 🙂

peterigz
    Participant

That actually raises an interesting point, I always used a prefix for classes to avoid potential clashes with other mods, but now we have namespaces I guess that’s not so necessary.

Thanks for the new version 🙂 I wonder how easy a monkey2 Linter would be to make…

wiebow
    Participant

Yes, namespaces should fix potential clashes.

A linter. Never used it. Is it handy?

papgar
    Participant

Would it be possible to get an intellisense plugin in Sublime 3 working with Monkey2?  I have trouble learning these api’s without it.

peterigz
    Participant

I use a javascript linter which basically underlines syntax and other common errors like undefined variables (picks out typos), and it also alerts to bad coding practices, like only putting an “end” instead of “end if” as I’ve been doing 🙂

There’s some more info about the SublimeLinter here http://www.sublimelinter.com/en/latest/about.html

wiebow
    Participant

papgar: Yes, it is a pain without it. I have a browser open with a link to the local docs, but it can be better.  In BlitzMax I had made snippets for almost every command or function, so getting the right parameters was a breeze. I might do that again with M2, but I’m not that desperate yet 🙂

Peterigz: I’ll give that a look, who knows?

wiebow
    Participant

I updated this file a few times already, adding fixing small bits and bobs…  I still see some errors with some of the extern block declarations and stuff so I will try to fix that soon.

wiebow
    Participant

I made a blog post about my development setup with ST3 and Gradle: http://devdef.blogspot.nl/2016/07/monkey2-development-setup.html

I hope it’s of value to someone.

peterigz
    Participant

Very useful! thanks 🙂

taumel
    Spectator

Hi wiebow, first of all thanks for your work. Secondly as far as i can remember, there have been a number of people offering Sublime support for Max, Monkey and now monkey2 throughout the years. Sadly none of them was fully working/up to date.

Are you interested in doing a full implementation, so that the syntax highlighting works on everything (also just end) and you can build fine together with the color highlighter, the linter and provide an official package?

wiebow
    Participant

I want to work towards a full package, definitely.

Syntax highlighting works on all End cases, but not for If blocks atm. I will need some clever look-ahead regex to support that. I’ll give it a go, as you show interest.

If you know any issues with the highlighter, mention it here or on the github page and i’ll fix it.  There have been several updates over the past weeks so always grab the latest one 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.