Syntax for "Array of Arrays" (Jagged Array) ?

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help Syntax for "Array of Arrays" (Jagged Array) ?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  codifies 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Diffrenzy
    Keymaster

What is the syntax for declaring this? (Not multidimentional arrays)

Since the below code compiles, I assume Arrays of Arrays are still in , but I can’t seem to get  the declaration syntax right.  Local jag:Float[][] = New ????

Local arrlist:= New List<Float[]>
    arrlist.AddLast(New Float[4])
    Local multi:= multi.ToArray()

Function Test:Void(tes:Float[][])

End function

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Quick demo:

Note that the ‘new’ is sort of back to front, ie: in the ‘New Int[][w]’ bit, w comes last, but when you’re indexing with ‘x’ it comes first!

This actually makes sense to me as a compiler coder, ie: ‘New Int[][w]’ is w new int arrays, which is what we want, but I think java/c# parse things kind of differently so you end up with ‘New Int[w][]’ instead, which or may not make more sense to others.

I’m pretty relaxed about changing this if enough people prefer the Java way.

Diffrenzy
    Keymaster

Hi Mark, thanks for clearing it up, I don’t think I would have figured that out 🙂

I’m all for changing it to the java/monkey1/c# for consistency between languages.

Also, it seems logical, that the major dimension, that holds the elements are declared first.

nerobot
    Participant

deleted.

codifies
    Participant

errr wot!

[/crayon]

if b works why the heck doesn’t c (like a few other languages) – do I really need a loop just to make an empty array?

abakobo
    Participant

If you want some ‘rectangular array’ you can do the following:

[/crayon]

or

[/crayon]

If you want an array of various arrays (non-rectangular/jagged) you’ll have to loop as mark showed. h could have different values during the loop.

codifies
    Participant

…ah jee that should be in the docs!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.