trying to implement Mersenne Twister

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help trying to implement Mersenne Twister

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kanati 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

codifies
    Participant

I want a repeatable sequence of numbers to do procedurally generated levels (I want to be sure of the same sequence regardless of OS or hardware)

I’ve attempted to implement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_Twister but seem to be getting four distinct bands of values when I plot 1000 values in a spreadsheet

anyone got any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

[/crayon]

abakobo
    Participant

Eeeks. That kind of bit shifting is so ugly..

With a fast look I see that oldseed is sometimes a short and sometimes a uint.. Is it normal?
    In that kind of code we are supposed to see only unsigned things don’t we? (index i signed too)

codifies
    Participant

ack I was trying it as short must have missed one, sadly that makes no difference to this issue I described? the index type doesn’t seem to be causing the issue either….

out of interest why is bitshifting ugly?

codifies
    Participant

BINGO!

basically it was an issue with the order of precidence of operations, obviously things are evaluated differently to C / python….

[/crayon]

kanati
    Participant

Ah this brings back memories.  Wrote the twister into a dll for use with B+ and BMax back in the day because both created a different set depending on which CPU architecture you had (Well, on certain intels and certain AMDs they did).  Glad to see someone else decided to implement it in Monkey so I don’t have to.   😀

papgar
    Participant

Ooh this is really important for procedural generation in games and getting consistent results from a seed.  How is the performance using this is it a ton slower than just rand or not too bad?

kanati
    Participant

I haven’t tried codifies implementation of it but I wouldn’t imagine it to be significantly slower than the built in PRNG.  I know when I implemented it for blitzplus and blitzmax I saw no performance hit at all.  Though I will admit that I didn’t stress test it against Mark’s PRNG.  But it definitely gave consistent results across platforms.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.