We ( or I ) need IAP ( community funded? )

Home Forums General Discussion We ( or I ) need IAP ( community funded? )

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Betson 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Playniax
    Participant

Some of you may know that I have just released my first Monkey2 / Pyro2 game Revengestar for PC / Mac and Android ( and working on releasing the iOS version )

Revengestar is using AdMob but I would like the option that people can turn of the Ads and for that we need a IAP module. Is there anyone who got this working or ported the MX1 stuff?

Otherwise I would like to propose a crowdfunding thingy here and collect enough money to get Mark to prioritize it or to pay someone to do it. Let’s say if everybody here offers let’s say 25-50 bucks how far will we get?

therevills
    Participant

Definitely… its one of the things stopping me moving to MX2 for our Android development!

I’ve looked at the code Mark wrote to get the AdMob stuff working in Android and I should be able to get the IAP working, but I didnt want to step on Mark’s toes and it would be better if it was an “official” module.

Here are the Android docs on how to get it working with pure Java:

https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/billing_integrate.html

impixi
    Participant

Mark did have plans to create an IAP module and release it for sale on itch.io like he has done for the AdMob module.

Certainly if he wants to take a break from mojo3d to code it, that might be a good idea. (Probably only take him 10 minutes anyway. LOL, j/k.)

But what’s the potential market? There’s Playniax, therevills, maybe Xaron. Who else would buy an IAP module for 30 bucks or so?

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

I will get onto this soon, but I want to get a v1.1.06 release out first.

But please understand, I can’t spend a vast amount of time on mobile as the potential audience just isn’t that big – one user right now, half a dozen users ala monkey-x in the near future? And if that affects your decision to use monkey2 or not, excellent, I think it *should* – I definitely don’t want everyone to think everything’s just gonna fall out of the sky tomorrow.

I have tried to be a bit smarter this time around with mobile to minimize the work involved. Using SDL2 and OpenAL has made life a lot easier, and generating standard xcode/android studio projects should future proof things to a degree, even if it’s a little clunky (but not really in practice IMO). Adding IAP will make monkey2 pretty much feature equivalent with monkey-x I guess, so perhaps I’m over thinking this, but I did come away from monkey-x feeling like I’d spent a VAST amount of time on mobile for the sake of a very small number of users and I really wanted to try to avoid that this time around. No offence or anything to mobile users but you guys *are* high maintenance.

but I didn’t want to step on Mark’s toes and it would be better if it was an “official” module.

Please don’t worry about this in general as there’s always bound to be stuff I can’t get onto as soon as people would like me to and that shouldn’t hold you guys up. But note that things on android are a bit trickier in monkey2 as you’ve got both c++ and java to deal with so you need to use JNI for them to talk to each other. I have ideas for better solutions here…but again…how much is the time involved worth to me? Could it be better spent? And so on…

Playniax
    Participant

I feel almost bad for pushing this but not really 🙂

I understand Mark that time is a factor, hence the community crowdfunding idea that could help with ‘the sting’.

potential audience just isn’t that big

Right now, maybe not. But it can’t hurt Monkey2 and IAP is important for mobile. I wish it wasn’t but it is ( IMHO ) …

I am just happy it’s still happening! Thanks anyway!

Xaron
    Participant

You could still use Monkey 1 for that. 😉 Works fine.

BTW: This multi platform thing is still #1 “selling” argument for Monkey 1/2. The day you drop mobile support, I don’t see any reason to use Monkey at all. For pure desktop there are virtually thousands (better) solutions out there. No offense.

Playniax
    Participant

The day you drop mobile support…

Seriously, that would be a nightmare for me!

Richard Betson
    Participant

This multi platform thing is still #1 “selling” argument for Monkey 1/2

I think that it is about demand and focus. There is no doubt that at least Android is a mobile target that will be part of Monkey 2. I think Mark’s point is that he needs to focus on where the demand is currently. It does not mean dropping the target but supporting what is in demand and then expanding targets like Android when time becomes available.

abakobo
    Participant

I’m clearly working on monkey2 in the hope I can use all of my code with any of the 5 announced platforms, but mainly mobiles. IAP is the most viable economical model to me. So yeah I’ll need it too and will gladly pay for it as it is logical to me to pay for some little things although I’m a backer from the early days.

Richard Betson
    Participant

So yeah I’ll need it too and will gladly pay for it as it is logical to me to pay for some little things although I’m a backer from the early days.

I can’t help thinking (even with Mark’s time and workload constraints) that an IAP module might be a candidate for a Patreon goal. Just like the goal set for 3D. That way it’s at least on the menu for future development. I would be willing to up my pledge just to have the IAP option.

There is also the option to community code it. But, someone will need to take the lead and at least start a project thread here on the site and start organizing it.

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

IAP is mostly done! Outta pocket 100USD already courtesy of apple inc. but hey, I’ll make that back, right?!?

Needs a bit more testing and I need to add something like AppState before it’s really usable, but it should be out within a few weeks (after 1.1.06 is out anyway).

For pure desktop there are virtually thousands (better) solutions out there. No offense.

Offense taken! What a crappy thing to say!

Playniax
    Participant

> For pure desktop there are virtually thousands (better) solutions out there

You take that back! 😉

Can’t think of one.

I’ll make that back, right?!?

Yes, I will pay that $100 when it’s out! Who will join me?

Richard Betson
    Participant

You take that back! 😉

Very courteous response.  Let’s make that the norm.

Yes, I will pay that $100 when it’s out! Who will join me?

I’ll up my pledge another $5 a month. It’s what I can do for now, but I’ll be making more room in my budget to support Mark’s wonderful progress and support.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘We ( or I ) need IAP ( community funded? )’ is closed to new replies.