What are BoxF?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DruggedBunny 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Yue
    Participant

I’m trying to understand why when creating a simple cube, I have to use BoxF which receives two parameters, could someone help me with a simple explanation?

🙂

nerobot
    Participant

BoxF is an alias for Box<Float>, Box type allow us to set cubic bounds.

It has many constructors, see the sources:

https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/blob/develop/modules/std/geom/box.monkey2

Yue
    Participant

I greatly appreciate your response, I just want to understand that, although the examples use it, I can not understand its parameters when creating a cube. A simple explanatory example?, with the objective of understanding the matter better since the documentation does not say much.

Thank you.

DruggedBunny
    Participant

I’ve only used the form defining opposite corners of a cube/box:

In real-world use, this might look like:

… where x0, y0, z0 define one extreme corner — in this case being left 0.5, down 0.5, towards camera 0.5 — and x1, y1, z1 define the opposite corner; in this case right 0.5 (forming total width of 1.0), up 0.5 and forward 0.5.

For further clarity, you might store the box as a Boxf and pass it to CreateBox:

As far as I can tell, you only really need 1, 1, 1 for the x, y, z segments — you might pass in more if you want to manipulate the cube’s vertices into another shape.

So the box is:

• -0.5 to 0.5 horizontally – New Boxf (x0, -0.5, -0.5, x1, 0.5, 0.5);
    • -0.5 to 0.5 vertically – New Boxf (-0.5, y0, -0.5, 0.5, y1, 0.5);
    • -0.5 to 0.5 depth-wise – New Boxf (-0.5, -0.5, z0, 0.5, 0.5, z1).

… meaning it measures 1.0 in all directions.

Another way to define it, if you want to specify a particular size:

Or…

The parameters define opposite corners of the cube:

… and if you find you still struggle, just wrap Model.CreateBox into a CreateCube function (like Blitz3D!), passing in the width, height, depth and a PbrMaterial (plus potentially the optional parent entity), and returning the Model.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.