"Window.SwapAsync" what is it?

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Development "Window.SwapAsync" what is it?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  abakobo 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

abakobo
    Participant

With the lastest Mojave update Window.SwapAsync has been deprecated.

What is it? Is this a big thing that it is not available anymore? What does it technicaly change?

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

From VERSIONS.TXT…

Added SUPER experimental SwapAsync flag to Window. Causes window to execute swaps in a separate thread. This allows you to use much finer grained timers etc. Note: it may not be a good idea to do any off-screen rendering with this enabled. It may not work everywhere, but Qt4.8 apparantley recommends it so give it a go! Confirmed to work on windows and macos, but not linux.

In GL-Speak, it caused ‘SwapBuffers’ to execute in a separate thread, which meant the main thread didn’t have to block waiting for vsync.

It was more a kind of a ‘see if I could’ experiment really, I probably shouldn’t have added in the first place.

abakobo
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I should read VERSION!

Having finer grained timers would be awesome, especially for sound treatment as it has a much higher refresh rate than video. Too bad Apple is making things so complex with their constant new system surprises.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.