World position of vertex?

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Programming Help World position of vertex?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DruggedBunny 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

DruggedBunny
    Participant

How do I get hold of the world position of a mesh’s vertex? I’m trying to visualise a terrain’s vertices, and have got my mesh vertices easily enough, but it’s just the ‘raw’ mesh vertices rather than their current position in space…

See DrawVertices:

[/crayon]

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Use something like entity.Matrix * vertex.position, eg:

The matrix multiplication transforms the Vec3f position from one coord space (ie: local space) to another (ie: world space).

To get from world space to local space instead, use the inverse matrix, eg: -entity.Matrix * worldPos.

DruggedBunny
    Participant

Thanks, Mark, that looks to have done it… handy to know it was that simple!

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

The other usefull thing to know here is how multiplying matrices has the effect of ‘chaining’ a sequence of transforms together.

So say you’ve got 2 entities, and a point in local space of one of the entities, and you want to transform it into the local space of the other entity, you can do something like -entity2.Matrix * entity1.Matrix * point.¬† This will transform a point from entity2’s local space to entity1’s local space. Note that matrix multiplication is not commutative (eg: matrix1*matrix2 is not the same as matrix2*matrix1) although it is associative (eg: (matrix1*matrix2)*matrix3 is the same as matrix1*(matrix2*matrix3)) and should generally be read ‘right to left’ (eg: the above first transforms point by entity1.Matrix and then by -entity2.Matrix). So by precalculating matrices like this, you can actually store a complex sequence of transforms in a singe matrix. This is what those weird sounding matrices like ‘ModelViewProjectionMatrix’ are actually doing, transforming from model space to view space to ‘clip’ space (another topic!)…

And that’s it – that’s most of what I know about 3d!

DruggedBunny
    Participant

Cool, thanks, have saved that for reference, will try grasp it, or as much as I need when I need it!

I have stumbled across ModelViewProjectionMatrix and the like in GLSL fragment shaders, something I’ll be dabbling in again soon, and I realised earlier that this vertex drawing is probably a good candidate for shader-ising anyway.

Got my terrain vertex drawing working for now, slow as heck (obviously), but this might actually help me narrow it down within a given range and speed up slightly.

At least I can see where the vertices are in relation to my texture, which is what I was after!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.