Would this help make a unlit shader?

About Monkey 2 Forums General Programming Discussion Would this help make a unlit shader?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ethernaut 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

EdzUp
    Participant

I want to make it for a game I’m working on.

I borrowed this from the Unity website

EdzUp
    Participant

probably nearer to the shader, also borrowed from the Unity forum

cocon
    Participant

This shader is from some old code where I was learning about GLSL with OpenTK, it renders flat textures.

EdzUp
    Participant

Thanks cocon im just looking at unlit textures but to be honest Shaders arent my thing, im used to EntityFX and TextureFX but now it all seems to be shaders for everything :/

Simon Armstrong
    Participant

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you don’t want lighting on a surface can you just zero diffuse and specular?

EdzUp
    Participant

I’m not upto speed on diffuse and specular would this basically be just putting black textures in the PBR directory for the specular and diffuse files?

Ethernaut
    Participant

The name “unlit” is a little misleading!

It actually means that the texture is displayed at 100% of its original values, without any lighting applied (hence “unlit”), not that it’s 100% dark.

Those shaders tend to be super fast, are are super useful for stylized looks where all your shading/detail is built into the texture, like a “cartoon shader” minus the lighting.

Rendering a pure texture through the shader in Mojo is super easy for a 2D surface, but I still couldn’t get any custom shader to actually work with the 3D renderer… the Unity shader doesn’t really help in this case, but thanks! 🙂

Cheers!

Ethernaut
    Participant

You can get an unlit look with the PbrShader by:

– Turning off the EnvTexture (i.e. “_scene.EnvColor = Color.Black”, this will create a black texture for the environment )

– Setting the ambient light to Color.White (“_scene.AmbientLight = Color.White”)

– Making sure the material has 0 Metalness and 1.0 roughness, if you want no specular hilights.

– Don’t add any lights.

This will look like an unlit shader, but it won’t render as fast as one! 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.