XML module

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Arjailer 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

impixi
    Participant

Is anyone coding an XML module for MX2?

If not, any suggestions for a C/C++ XML library to wrap? Or maybe a “native” BlitzMax or Monkey1 solution to port?

I just need something simple: load and parse basic but “well-formed” XML and create a DOM-like tree structure from it.

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

tinyxml2 looks very tidy…

http://www.grinninglizard.com/tinyxml2/

The mx2 API would probably look something like:

There’s more methods, but that’s the jist of it, just yer basic tree. Is that the sort of thing you’re after?

Arjailer
    Participant

I converted skn3’s Monkey X xml module to Monkey 2. It’s pure Monkey 2 code with no dependencies. I don’t have it on this PC, but I could post it later if you’re interested.

TinyXML looks good though  🙂

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

I’ve made a pretty good start on tinyxml2, but the more the merrier! Wish people would staring using that module manager thingy though…

Anyway, I’m more of a JSON guy myself, but is this pretty much what you need from an xml module?

…which produces…

impixi
    Participant

@Mark

Anyway, I’m more of a JSON guy myself, but is this pretty much what you need from an xml module?

That’s exactly what I’m looking for. 🙂

Regarding JSON, XML, etc. I’m usually an INI or CSV or pure binary data guy, but I’m working on a project where I can actually see the benefit of using XML-formatted data. JSON has never really “gelled” with me, I tend to avoid it.

Wish people would staring using that module manager thingy though…

Indeed, that would be nice. :). I have a few half-finished modules I hope to finish soon. I’ll upload them when I do.

@arjailer

That Monkey1 module by skn3 is the one I had planned to port if nobody else had started on an XML module…

Arjailer
    Participant

Here’s the xml parser.

I might upload it as a module later, but between adding a demo app and adding documentation it’s actually a fair amount of work.

Edit: Especially as it’s not originally my code so documenting it might be “fun”  🙂

Attachments:
    1. skn3xml.zip

Arjailer
    Participant

I do have Linq-like extension methods for List<T> and Stack<T> that I would like to upload to the module manager. Might work on that a bit today.

Arjailer
    Participant

Hmmm … do extension methods not work in modules?

The module builds but I’m getting pretty much empty .cpp source files in my windows_debug folder and if I try to use any of the extension methods I get “undefined reference” errors.

It all works fine when built as an app where the .cpp source files contain everything I’d expect to see.

If I build the app without actually referencing or using any of the extension methods I get the same empty .cpp source files as I’m seeing in the module. This makes sense for building an app ‘cos it’s only building what it needs to, but I wouldn’t have thought a module would do that?

Am I missing something about building modules?

impixi
    Participant

@Mark

Woohoo! Just tried the latest GIT release and have been playing around with the tinyxml module. Works nicely so far. Thanks!

Here’s an example that builds a mojox tree from that “dream.xml” file included with the banana:

[/crayon]

@arjailer

Thanks for posting your code. I’ll experiment with that later, see how it compares to Mark’s tinyxml wrapper solution.

impixi
    Participant

Another tinyxml2 example with element attributes and “embedded XML”:

[/crayon]

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

The module builds but I’m getting pretty much empty .cpp source files in my windows_debug folder and if I try to use any of the extension methods I get “undefined reference” errors.

Are you using the latest mx2cc? Extensions are undergoing ongoing maintenance…

If you are, can you reproduce with a simple example?

Arjailer
    Participant

Actually, it looks like I’m not on the latest version. I’ll update later and give it a try.

Arjailer
    Participant

Extension methods fail to build at all with the latest code, whether as a module or not.

Lots of “Blah:T?(T?) must be a generic class type” errors.

The code built fine in v1.0.5

Have attached if you want to have a look.

Attachments:
    1. linq.zip

Arjailer
    Participant

Also, the following no longer works in the latest build either:

Get error: Can’t find overload for ‘TestGenericMethod<int>(…)’ with argument types ()

Again, this used to work in v1.0.5, and works in 1.0.6 if I remove the Where clause

Mark Sibly
    Keymaster

Have you got a small test program for the Linq stuff?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.