Forum Replies Created
I have been working on creating procedural graphics. I think I want to create more gfx like water and maybe powerups(crates)
I am at 35+Kb of code already.
I had done something similar before with a shooter game. I had tried a new method this time where I would check a near section(player) of the map for a obstacle(wall) and see at which angle it was compared to the player. Then check behind it for a hiding spot. Should be faster then my old method. I did not get this working though. I then used my old method of shooting invisible bullets around the player until it hits a wall. Then check if a free spot behind it shows up. Then mark this spot in a map array for the soldier and flood a certain distance from it. The soldiers read every now and then if a flood path is on their position and then move towards(lower flood values) that safe spot.
I am about to begin working on adding new things. Finish the soldiers and add some procedural graphics. Though I also just watched some quake 2 gameplay where they added raytracing. I kind of also want to create a simplified 3d shooter like that and use that chunk technique I learned from the minecraft course on udemy.
I do not think I added this link to this thread. This was the last version I uploaded to the internet(Added with trees and underground dungeons) I had just googled for “emscripten minecraft” and this thread showed up in the first few results.
Last version (trees and dungeons)
(This version does not work on mobile devices since I stil need to give the texture atlas a power of 2 dimension.)
At the moment I am not really working on this voxel project. But I do spend time trying to figure out this whole infinite generation which can include generated things like dungeons and other structures. I was also able to test this last emscripten version on a older i3 laptop and it seems to be fast enough. But compared to the real minecraft it is superslow.
I am thinking that when I get a new laptop this year with a new i7 processor(9th gen) and new nvidia card I wil start to add features(more power!!) Also maybe then mojo3d wil be more feature rich so I can add things like water(transparent blocks) Also I am not sure on the memory requirements. Browser(emscripten) games have a 2gb limit afaik and saving to the disk is something I have no knowledge on yet.
I have been using the microsecs() command to seed the rndseed. This seems to work alright so far. I can not really find or recall using time and date features a lot yet.
Loading and saving in emscripten. Or if this already in a example. I would like to store and load save games. Maybe some info on this. L8mits in filesize. “Cookies?” – one hundred dollars!
The screen is not centered correctly on my laptop here.
Very good! I am learning new things from this also.
This from discord. Make sure the spritesheet image is with the power of 2. So width and height 256*256 or 512*512. Textures and opengl thing.
Ok. On ipad it is readable. Not sure what happened on the laptop.
With the compiling, I hope the problem gets solved.
I tried zooming in on the screenshot but the text is not readable.
I never compile for other than desktop windows and emscripten so I do not know a lot about the other things.
One thing that I might say is that to be sure you have checked the right target settings.
It has been a while since I did anything with the project but I spend a night and morning trying to make it better.
I added trees which are placed based on a seed(grow) array. This is a array where I place numbers on. I enter a loop and pick a random x and y and see if a number is present there and if so place that same number besides it. This way you end up with zones or islands if you will. This I use to see if a tree can be placed there. This makes it look like there are area’s on the map where there are no trees and area’s where there are trees.
I also added a dungeon algorithm that I did. I simply copied into the project and added a ceiling and a floor. I still want to add different heights for the rooms and a stair to the surface. The dungeons are randomly placed on the map and should be mostly underground. Usualy they are unreachable unless the tunnelling algorithm broke through the walls.
I also was working a bit on the texture atlas. There is still something not right on the edges. I still want to make it so that each side of a cube can have a different texture.
Another thing I was planning is ambient lighting. I think(?) this is done with having a larger texture atlas where every image has a version with shadows on the edges. These textures then get placed in corners making it look like it has been lighted. Since I am using small textures I think I can make this work. This would be useful since the regular lighting on lower end machines seem not to give a good framerate and need to be disabled there.
The code is still on github in my account (pakz001) in the public monkey2 3d rep in the mining folder. There are a number of examples and experiment files there that should mosly compile with a later version of monkey2.
ok, I think I wil try with the mesh.
I was curious on the tracker used (protrekkr) and downloaded it. It looks pretty nice. I was not aware of it before. It seems pretty powerful.
After Skaletracker I really not used trackers other then modplug. Now I am spoiled with all those affordable and powerful daws on the ipad.
I made 2 repo’s on github filled with monkey 2 examples. There is not much text explaining the code though, but there are a lot of small examples. Beginners and up.
Someone, i forgot the name is working on youTube video’s.
The framerate is around 13fps on chrome here on the last bust link. Not sure why.
This is on the amd a8 cpu.
edit: The gaming laptop with i5 and 1050 has 16 fps.