Simple image shader (GLSL)

About Monkey 2 Forums Monkey 2 Code Library Simple image shader (GLSL)

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DruggedBunny 1 hour, 20 minutes ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Author

DruggedBunny

Participant

This is a very simple pixel shader for modifying images using a GLSL shader.

In this case, the shader changes each pixel’s colour to a greyscale (average) version:

It’s formed of two parts, the Monkey2 code and the GLSL shader code.

The file structure should be:

• the Monkey2 code and an assets folder next to each other;
    • the GLSL file in a shaders folder within assets. (“assets/shaders/basic.glsl”)

A pre-made zip setup can be downloaded here.

Monkey2:

GLSL:

This code must be placed into assets/shaders/basic.glsl:

You just create an ImageRenderTarget, using the image and canvas fields like so:

• canvas to draw to the canvas;
    • image for drawing the resulting shaded image.

To set/get shader variables, you use the image.Material‘s Set/Get methods, as in the SetInt (“Toggle”, toggle) seen in this example. The Toggle string here relates to the m_Toggle value in the GLSL code (notice that the GLSL variable name is formed from this string, auto-prefixed by mojo with “m_”).

Thanks to DoctorWhoof (aka. Ethernaut) for the render target code and PixelPaladin for the example GLSL interfacing code.

Next up, to finally do a workable ZX Spectrum shader on my Island demo (use L to toggle resolution), since I only need to operate on a tiny 256 x 192 image now, which is upscaled to the actual display size… (Done it before but it was far too slow as I was working on the entire display, and the attribute-clash part of the Spectrum shader is very intensive, checking 64 pixels around every single pixel for the most common colour!)

DruggedBunny

Participant

Updated Island demo with the ImageRenderTarget code from above, now offers simple greyscale for starters. (L to toggle low-res, P to toggle greyscale in low-res mode.)

DruggedBunny

Participant

Update to Speccy Island!

Hit L to go Low-res, Spectrum-style, with attribute clash.

Hit P in low-res mode to toggle real colours. Full-screen it!

L gets back to normal res/colours.

Still WIP, but finally got a decent-performing shader that at least outputs legit Spectrum-compatible imagery, needs much tweaking still.

In theory, you could save a bunch of frames and display them for real on the Spectrum, as-is… which I’ll eventually try.

Abe _King_

Participant

Which browser are you using? It’s not working on Chrome!

Failed to compile shader:ERROR: too many uniform

Working fairly nicely in FireFox!

DruggedBunny

Participant

Ah, only tried in FF, web not really being my main target, but had to do a few tweaks to get that to work. Get the impression cross-browser shaders are not a lot of fun!

DruggedBunny

Participant

Hmm, weird, just installed Chrome and it’s working fine here! What platform/gfx card you on?

DruggedBunny

Participant

Well, 256 x 192 is rather a “challenging” candidate for turning a low-contrast, fairly washed-out, realtime rendered scene into 8 Spectrum colours (each with associated ‘dark’ version) with correct colour-clash, and without sampling every 8×8 block of pixels (a MASSIVE framerate hit since GLSL isn’t meant to read anything other than the ‘current’ pixel), it wasn’t feasible to select a suitable foreground and background colour that avoided constant flickering between the two as the scene changed, so I’ve amended the Spectrum’s display size.

Here’s how the scene would be rendered if the Spectrum’s display size was 1024 x 768 instead of 256 x 192, but still with correct colours and clash. You really have to see it moving to get the full effect!

Full-screen it. (Only testing web version in Firefox, apologies.)

I’ll upload my code once I’m done messing about…

DruggedBunny

Participant

Also quite cool back in 256 x 192 but with colour clash turned off. (Separate link; again recommend full-screening it. Key L is still available to toggle low-res mode off.)

DruggedBunny

Participant

Updated and placed code on GitHub.

WebGL version [Only testing on Firefox!]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.